I Don't Want To Waste My First Vote | The Odyssey Online

I Don't Want To Waste My First Vote

This is my first time to vote and I'm stuck.

8
I Don't Want To Waste My First Vote
CBS News

Well America, it looks like Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton will be battling it out for our votes soon. They have both managed to take down their opponents by using harsh tabloids, verbal slander and aggressive commercials. The person that I saw as most fitting for our country at this time has been silenced and pushed out of the race. Now, I am left confused and with no idea who I want to vote for for the first time in my life. As we get closer and closer to November 2016, what are we going to do?

At the beginning of this presidential race, when prominent individuals were telling the public that they were going to give it a shot, I never thought Donald Trump would be one of them. I enjoyed watching him on "Celebrity Apprentice" and hearing those infamous words, "You're fired." I thought he was solely a businessman who wanted to make as much money for his private jets as possible. I would have never expected in a million years that he would try to become the President of the United States. Sometimes I think he rants on just to hear himself talk.

Of course Hillary Clinton is in the running, she loves being in the spotlight, politically. While I would love for a women to become president, I do not think that Hillary is the one. She has been through countless scandals, and I don't feel as if I could trust her to make decisions for our country. She seems to be wishy-washy on her policies and platforms and says whatever she needs to do to please the specific crowd she is talking to. I don't even think shes firm on one single platform she's been praising. She does seem to have a huge pool of support since she's gotten this far in the race.

The main issue that this particular race has been based around is ISIS and terrorism. Both of our candidates have addressed the issues while on the campaign route. While Donald Trump was speaking at one of his rallies recently, he said, "I know more about ISIS than the generals do. Believe me." This shocked me very much. How could he possibly know more about a terrorist group than the generals and soldiers who have been fighting them and gaining information daily about how they operate? Donald Trump's ego keeps growing and growing with each citizen who pledges their support to him. On the other hand, Hillary Clinton seems to have a plan to take down and dismantle this terror group. She calls for building stronger alliances with our European colleagues and destroying their global terror network. We are going to have to put our trust in whoever becomes president to defeat and end the killings of innocent people.

While both of these candidates seem to have a great sense of self-importance, there are some issues that I agree with on from both sides. For Donald Trump, I agree with the his position on better rights for our veterans. He plans to give them the best quality care, such as healthcare and other benefits that our veterans deserve. Trump also plans to increase their funding and make life a little easier for them. The most important issue from Hillary Clinton that I strongly agree with and support is her stance on women's rights. She plans to close the pay gap and fight for women's rights, such as reproductive rights and paid family leave. I think that Clinton will carry about these plans accordingly (hopefully). This is a major issue that affects half of the population that Donald Trump doesn't really seem to be worried about.

Voting is a privilege and many females fought for the rest of us women to be able to express our voice and vote for who we want. Because of this, I am taking this presidential race very seriously. I do not want to waste my first ever vote on someone who will not benefit me.