2015 NFL Season Lookahead

2015 NFL Season Lookahead

Predicting the unpredictable.

10
2015 NFL Season Lookahead
Google Images

The first Sunday of NFL action is right around the corner, and while none of us have any idea who the NFC and AFC representatives will be in Super Bowl 50 next February, it's always fun to make fools of ourselves as we try to predict five months into the future. Even though we all know that the party that rules the league makes it impossible to predict even a single week in advance (let alone multiple months), here I will toss common sense to the winds and make some picks for the 2015 NFL season.

AFC East

Last year: Patriots (12-4), Bills (9-7), Dolphins (8-8), Jets (4-12)

Division Winner: New York Jets—Without Geno Smith quarterbacking this team for a significant chunk of the season, the Jets might actually be able to ride their defense to the playoffs.
Last-place: Miami Dolphins—Speaking of defense, the Dolphins will be good, too. The problem with this team will be a lack of offense, leading to Joe Philbin's dismissal. Better-late-than-never.
Watch out for: Buffalo Bills—This team has the ingredients to make a serious run for a wild card spot, that being a both a great defense and running game. If Tyrod Taylor turns out to be pretty good, look out.

AFC South

Last year: Colts (11-5), Texans (9-7), Jaguars (3-13), Titans (2-14)

Division Winner: Indianapolis Colts—Add Andre Johnson and Phillip Dorsett to a receiving corps that already has T.Y. Hilton in it, and Andrew Luck will continue to carve up the AFC South.
Last-place: Tennessee Titans—There's a lot of hype surrounding Marcus Mariota. It's well-deserved. However, the defense is still questionable at best and the running game is too inconsistent.
Watch out for: Jacksonville Jaguars—This team can finish with a winning record this year, which would completely validate the pick of Blake Bortles last year and probably ensure some more job security for Gus Bradley.

AFC North

Last year: Steelers (11-5), Bengals (10-5-1), Ravens (10-6), Browns (7-9)

Division Winner: Cincinnati Bengals—Fifth year for Andy Dalton, but this year will be different, as long as Tyler Eifert can stay healthy. Geno Atkins is reportedly completely recovered, so this team has enough defensive firepower to not only finally win a playoff game, but also go as deep as the AFC Championship Game.
Last-place: Pittsburgh Steelers—Not high on this team, mostly because of its defense. Their offensive production will make them entertaining to watch, but the defense will give up too much to win.
Watch out for: Cleveland Browns—This team made some noise until December started last year. If Josh McCown keeps the team afloat until then this time around, Johnny Manziel might be able to take them farther.

AFC West

Last year: Broncos (12-4), Chiefs (9-7), Chargers (9-7), Raiders (3-13)

Division Winner: Kansas City Chiefs—This team finally has a wide receiver! Jeremy Maclin will be a boon to Alex Smith as he sheds his "Game Manager" label once and for all while leading his team to a Super Bowl victory.
Last-place: Oakland Raiders—While Derek Carr will eventually become the real deal, the defense is going to hold the Raiders back in their last season in Oakland before moving to Los Angeles.
Watch out for: Denver Broncos—Despite being ousted by the Chiefs as the division champs, the Broncos will still make the playoffs in Peyton Manning's final season.

NFC East

Last year: Cowboys (12-4), Eagles (10-6), Giants (6-10), Redskins (4-12)

Division Winner: Philadelphia Eagles—Have you seen Chip Kelly's offense this preseason? Yeah. No more explanation needed, as long as Sam Bradford stays healthy.
Last-place: Dallas Cowboys—A team that overachieved last year lost DeMarcco Murray during the offseason, and the defense will suffer the loss of Orlando Scandrick. Tony Romo suffered a debilitating injury, too.
Watch out for: Washington Redskins—No one is giving this team any respect at all. Just watch as they sneak their way into the playoffs as the sixth seed and then go all the way to the Super Bowl.

NFC South

Last year: Panthers (7-8-1), Saints (7-9), Falcons (6-10), Buccaneers (2-14)

Division Winner: Carolina Panthers—This team took advantage of an awful division last year. It's also an awful division this year. The Panthers will use that schedule as their gain and will cruise to a first-round bye and a trip to the NFC Championship Game appearance.
Last-place: New Orleans Saints—The real question is, "Just how bad will the Saints be?" Their offensive production will go down with Jimmy Graham, and their defense couldn't stop anyone this preseason.
Watch out for: Atlanta Falcons—With new blood at head coach in Dan Quinn, the Falcons might be able to stay in more games this year because its defense is improved.

NFC North

Last year: Packers (12-4), Lions (11-5), Vikings (7-9), Bears (5-11)

Division Winner: Chicago Bears—Even though the talent potential on offense has always gone unfulfilled, this year is going to be different in the toughest division in the NFL.
Last-place: Green Bay Packers—The Packers are good enough even without Jordy Nelson to finish with a winning record. This is more about the other NFC North teams finally catching up to Green Bay.
Watch out for: Detroit Lions—This team will only be able to make the playoffs for the second straight year if Matthew Stafford becomes more consistent. That's a huge "if."

NFC West
Last year: Seahawks (12-4), Cardinals (11-5), 49ers (8-8), Rams (6-10)

Division Winner: Seattle Seahawks—If the Seahawks defense continues to stay healthy, the new-look offense, including Jimmy Graham, will lead Seattle to a third straight year, clinching the number one seed.
Last-place: St. Louis Rams—Without the service of Todd Gurley in the early part of the season, the Rams will sink to last place and have a difficult time getting themselves out of the basement.
Watch out for: Arizona Cardinals—Like so many other teams, if key pieces stay healthy, the Cardinals can make some noise in the playoffs this year. They'll also give Seattle fits in the regular season.