HELP WANTED! Position: President of the USA | The Odyssey Online
Politics

HELP WANTED! Position: President of the USA

6

It's fall. The leaves are changing, sweater weather is finally here, and pumpkin spice season is in full swing.

And it's once again time for a new president.

This being my first chance to vote in a presidential election, it is something I have been looking forward to for a long time. And so far, I am not impressed with my choices.

This frustrates me to no end because I have finally reached an age where I can help mold history with the little say I have, and the choices America has given me are arrogance and deceit.

How thrilling.

Looking at this with first-time voter eyes, all I see are people who are wishy-washy and who say what they think people will want to hear just to win. Let's stop looking at this as a presidential race and more as a job application for the role of leading a country. To do this, to be a leader, there is one main quality that the candidates need to have: integrity. And so far, that is the last thing I have seen.

I have seen petty moves against the other opponent instead of helpful remarks for the nation. I have seen countless power struggles in the debates without any focus on the actual problems at hand. The debates are meant to help voters get an understanding of what the candidates believe in, not see them fling insults and snide remarks at each other.

Nowadays people are so focused on if the candidate is a liberal or a conservative instead of looking at their capabilities and their beliefs (Especially their beliefs).

Why is what one believes so integral to the candidate? It's because what a person believes to be true is going to affect every aspect of their life. For example, I believe that every person's life is important, so that affects how I treat others and make decisions. It affects my stance on social issues and how I approach life in general.

America, this is our country that is at stake. It's more than just a title, it's a leadership position that gives a person the power to make major decisions that will impact the future of the nation.

I doubt that Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump will ever read this, or even that one of their people will read this, but if I could say one thing to them, out of the hundred things in my mind, it would be this: I'm praying for you. I'm praying that God shows you His amazing love and grace and that He gives you the wisdom that this country needs. All I want is someone who will help my country get back on track, and I am praying that whoever gets elected is humble, has integrity, and most of all, that they have Jesus.

And to America: I pray that this becomes a country that I am proud of. I pray that our votes reflect what is truly valuable. I pray that God leads this decision to bring glory to His name, and not ours.