Waking Up This Morning | The Odyssey Online

Waking Up This Morning

Waking up this morning put me in a lot of different emotions.

12
Waking Up This Morning
BGR

Waking up this morning was a funny thing.

The first thoughts that went through my head were "I'm in so much pain. Today's not going to be a good day" then "Oh no. What were the results of the election?"

You see, I had stayed up until 2 am watching the results on and off. At times, I was gleeful; at others, I simply shook my head. However, when some states were in a virtual deadlock between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, I decided I could take the shock in the morning upon waking up.

I had already cried once that night out of fear. The future is incredibly uncertain, but with some of the verbal promises and accusations that have been made on the presidential stage this year, I was also in fear for specific groups of people.

Anyways, back to waking up.

I reached over and grabbed my phone. My trusty group of friend on GroupMe would have surely said the results! That's all we were talking about last night!

The first message: "The Clinton campaign will not concede tonight." Good, but bad.

The second message: "Donald Trump is the new president."

I'm wordless. Can't say a thing. But after being awake for approximately 30 minutes, I can now. So I will.

First off: To the newly elected Donald Trump, congratulations. I'm not going to take away the fact that you did win the election.

However, I am terrified.

I'm terrified for all of my African American friends. We as a country have seen so much violence in this towards your people and your culture that is undeserving. Your skin color does not determine your worth. Your lives matter.

I'm terrified for all of my LGBTQ friends. You shouldn't be told who you can and can't love, if you can adopt or not, and you certainly shouldn't be told that electrocuting you is the way to "fix you" despite you not being broken. Your lives matter.

I'm terrified for all of my non-Christian friends. You should be able to pray to whatever deity you want without fail. The United States was once a Christian nation, but not anymore as we have grown even more religiously diverse. Your lives matter.

I'm terrified for anyone living in this country who is not originally from the USA. We are a nation built on the success of immigrants. As a country, we should welcome newcomers and learn about new cultures, languages, and viewpoints. Your lives matter.

I'm terrified for women. You should be able to have control over your reproductive rights. You shouldn't have to carry a child to term if you choose not to. You should feel safe in our country and not living in a world where sexual assault is okay and rape culture is celebrated. Your lives matter.

I'm terrified for disabled individuals. You are people just like the rest of us. Your disability does not make you less of a person at all. Healthcare should be the same for you, plus some to get over the hardships you weren't asked to deal with. Your lives matter.

If you don't understand why I'm terrified for these groups of people, there is an issue, and you're part of it.

We as Americans should not have to live in fear about our friends and families. Instead, we should be celebrating different people, different cultures, different viewpoints.

I'm scared that rights will be taken away. I'm scared about what will happen to our economy considering that the DOW is already down 700+ points. I'm scared about foreign relations. I'm scared about violence.

I shouldn't go to bed crying, worrying about the future of my friends, family, and future children. I shouldn't have to wake up to messages on Facebook from friends concerned about our country. I shouldn't have to console my international friends that everything will work out.

I'm terrified. So here's the deal:

If you see something, say something. if someone you know is being harassed, abused, or mistreated, say something as many times as you have to until someone listens to you.

We may not be able to control the government - others voted in a Trump administration, which won the majority - but we can control what we do as citizens under that government.

We should help others. Be caring to others. Show others that they are valued and respected. No one person or group is better than another.

Let's show the world that we are better than hate, bigotry, misogyny, xenophobia, and homophobia.