Why You Must Visit Salzburg, Austria Immediately | The Odyssey Online

Why You Must Visit Salzburg, Austria Immediately

The hills are alive...

950
easyjet.com

If you had asked me last week whether I would prefer a trip to Italy or Austria, I would've looked at you like you were crazy. I spent four semesters in college studying Italian and hearing about it's rich historical culture, beautiful landscapes, and mouth watering cuisine. My mind was filled with images of the Colosseum, The Trevi Fountain and the Venetian canals that I had only ever seen on television.

Luckily, I was able to finally see the beauty of Italy in person when my London study abroad program had a week long break from classes, giving me prime time to explore the rest of the continent. Along with four friends, I set off on a trip through Rome, Florence and Venice.

Three days into our Italian adventure, me and two other students in my group made a sudden decision to break off and take a 12 hour bus ride to Salzburg, Austria before heading back to our London dorms. I had never even heard of the city beforehand but my friend had gotten a recommendation from her older brother that it was incredible so I decided to be spontaneous and endure the uncomfortable journey. After seeing Austria in person, I can safely say I made the right choice.

For anyone looking to embark on their own backpacking journey through Europe, here is why you absolutely must add Salzburg to the top of your list:

1. The Landscape

Before my trip the only images of Austria I had in my mind were of snow and a few mountains. I was nowhere near prepared to step off the bus into a sunny outdoor paradise. My entire group was so in awe at the stunning surroundings that we had an ongoing joke that everything we were seeing had to be fake and we had somehow stumbled inside Disneyland's Epcot. If you love the great outdoors, Salzburg offers every kind of landscape from towering snow top mountains to ancient cliffs lined with Baroque architecture to bright green valleys full of lakes and rivers that run along the Old City. You could easily spend the day wandering around the countryside and feeling like you've just suddenly stepped back in time to the 13th century.

2. The Castles

Much of Salzburg's fairy-tale appeal is also found in its abundance of Medieval Castles and breathtaking Gothic architecture. Take the long hike to the top of Hohensalzburg Castle which was constructed by Salzburg's archbishop back in 1077, and you'll be rewarded with a beautiful aerial view of the entire city stretched across the glittering river.

3. The Mozart

Classical composer Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was born in raised in Salzburg, and the locals are definitely proud of their boy. In addition to two separate Mozart museums filled with the musician's personal letters, instruments and possessions, every stop in Salzburg offers a ton of adorable 'Mozart mercy.' My personal favorite is the "Mozartkugel" a small ball of pistachio marzipan and nougat coated in creamy dark chocolate. These golden treats line shop windows and are definitely the place's signature souvenir.

4. The History

In English, the name Salzburg literally translates to "Salt Fortress", an appropriate title given Salzburg's influential status as an abundant resource of salt wells and mineral deposits. In the 1500s , Archbishop Wolf Dietrich von Raitenau transformed Salzburg into the 4th wealthiest city in all of Europe by developing methods of wet mining and establishing Salzburg as a major player in the trade industry.

Back in the Middle Ages, salt was considered a kind of "White Gold," leading to many attempts by rival Austrian royals to invade and seize the salt storages. Salzburg's castles were constructed to serve as both storage and defense for over 100,00 tons of salt deposits and were the location of many battles throughout the 12th century.

Visitors can still explore the cavernous mines today by taking a train down the mining slides and recreate the adventures of the original Celtic miners back in 400 B.C. who used to hand-dig to unearth salt deposits.

5. The Food

Hungry after wandering through the mountains all day? Austria's got a ton of sweet and savory comfort foods that you have to sample! The nation's most popular dish is schnitzel, a juicy cut of either pork, turkey, or veal that's battered in bread crumbs fried and served with lemon and cranberry sauce. Despite it's funny-sounding name, I found the schnitzel reminiscent of the classic American-Thanksgiving dinner but with a delicious Germanic twist.

And for dessert? Salzburg's sweetest treat is definitely strudel. These flaky pastries come in both the classic apple flavor as well the "Topenstrudel" which is prepared with a soft sweetened cheese spread and filled with raisins. If you really can't decide, you won't regret ordering both!

6. The Real-Life 'Sound of Music'

And speaking of 'crisp apple strudel' (and doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles)... Salzburg's other big claim to fame is that it served as the real-life setting for "The Sound of Music!" The beloved 1965 Julie Andrews musical used Salzburg's picturesque mountain landscape to showcase the adventures of the Von Trapp singers. Today, the town offers official tours of the original filming locations (complete with sing-alongs, obviously). I highly recommend exploring Mirabell Gardens for the iconic Pegasus Fountain as well as strolling through the Mondsee Wedding Chapel where Maria's wedding to Baron Von Trapp was filmed.

While of course, I still recommend any European traveler see the famous sites offered by cities like Paris and Rome, my detour to Salzburg taught me that sometimes the most enjoyable memories are made in places that you least expect.