5 Reasons To Enjoy Nature | The Odyssey Online

5 Reasons To Enjoy Nature

Unplug from technology and enjoy nature.

195
5 Reasons To Enjoy Nature
www.tumblr.com

John Muir, a conservationist and advocate for natural preservation once said, "Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wilderness is a necessity."

I have noticed that sometimes when you get caught up in the monotonous, day-to-day routine, you tend to live your life looking, but never truly seeing the world around you. I don't remember when those sunflowers started blossoming. When did that maple tree grow so tall? When did the fireflies start coming out at night? It is incredibly easy to ignore the very earth you live on when you have so many things keeping you occupied. Work and school are enough to keep anyone busy, but add to that the growing attachment to technology, and you're bound to spend your days wasting away behind the light of your newest smart phone. Here are five reasons why you should unplug from technology and fully immerse yourself in nature.

1. Stress Relief/Relaxation

Nature can be be your happy place. Nothing compares to the sounds of a rushing river navigating through rocks or thousands of bugs chirping in unison, forming a beautiful natural melody. When you are fully immersed in nature, it is very hard to think about anything but the utter serenity that floods your mind. As often as I practice yoga, and a much as I absolutely love a good massage, I can say with 100 percent certainty that there is nothing as relaxing as closing your eyes and listening to earth's symphony. You can find peace just about anywhere amongst nature. You may find yourself the most at ease in a kayak, paddling down a calm river, or even 200 feet up on a cliff over-looking the world below you. It's different for everyone, but I can guarantee that this earth has plenty of peace to offer you, as long as you're willing to find what it is that brings you the most tranquility.

2. Adventures

As fun as relaxing can be, nature also has something to offer to the adrenaline junkies and the thrill-seekers. Some of the most exhilarating things I have done in life have been surrounded by nature. Only a few days ago, I spent the day clutching onto the side of a mountain, hundreds of feet off the ground, my only worry in the world was where to put my feet next, trying not to fall. As nerve-wracking as this sounds, it was actually quite peaceful to only be focused on the climb and not all my daily stressors. Rock climbing is definitely physically challenging, but the exercise causes a steady release of endorphins, the "happy hormone", leaving me feeling better than ever. If even the thought of rock climbing excites you, I guarantee it's worth a try.

If you are not about the heights, I promise there is still something out there for you. Maybe whitewater rafting is more your speed. Whatever nervousness you feel melts into pure adrenaline within minutes. The ferocious river water flips and turns your raft with every move, leaving your trip unpredictable even for the guides! Like life, rivers are ever-changing, and you never know what lies ahead. It's kind of fun facing the unpredictable. Most people like to have everything mapped out for them and oftentimes unpredictability is the enemy. But with whitewater rafting, it's a different experience every time. The unknown can be a terrifying thing, but when you step up and face it, life can be truly thrilling. You leave with such a sense of accomplishment.

Both of these adventures can be a tad on the expensive side, but here's an idea that won't cost much at all. If you live near a beach, spend the day in the waves! No tanning today! Let the freezing water numb your body, judging with every wave whether you should jump it, dive it, or ride it. Let the waves crash into you and tumble you across the ocean floor and that night when you go to sleep, feel your body exhausted from your day in the surf.

No beach near you?? No worries! Adventures don't always have to be jam packed with adrenaline. Sometimes venturing off to somewhere you have never been before can be an adventure. Go research a local park, pack a lunch and a blanket, and lie under the trees and read a book. No matter where you live, it isn't very difficult to find a park just waiting to be explored!

3. Inspiration

Nature is truly awe-inspiring. I find that a good walk or hike can quickly clear my head of all the clutter of everyday life. It is time to really reflect on your life. Without the everyday "white noise" of people talking or your phone going off, it's very easy to lose yourself once you've retreated into nature. The best deep thinking can be done with the sound of birds singing as your only distraction. You can get into a very deep meditative state with the beauty and silence of nature surrounding you. We have all experienced a time when it was hard to come up with an ideas or draw inspiration, but nature will truly never fail you. When you are immersed in nature and in a deep state of relaxation, try meditating on an idea and looking at it from all different angles. If that fails, just observing the the setting sun, squirrels scurrying or the trees swaying in the wind is enough to inspire anybody. So find a peaceful spot, make yourself comfortable, take a deep breath of earth's fresh air and just absorb the world around you. Maybe it will get your creative juices flowing.

4. New Perspective

Sometimes the absolute immensity of nature is very sobering and truly thought-provoking. All the stress and worries of life never feel smaller than when you're gazing up at the stars. When you are deep in the woods, wilderness, or mountains, far far away from the light pollution of our daily lives, you can get lost in the glimmering sea of stars in the sky. There is something so fascinating about how small you feel while lying underneath the night sky, millions of miles away from these massive balls of burning gas. Nature tends to help you see things differently. You become fully aware of the impact you have on the world and the impact the world has on you. You begin to think a little deeper and dream a little bigger. Whether you are gazing at the stars and feeling as small as an ant, climbing a tree and seeing the world from a new height, or even walking along a nature trail, sometimes a switch in scenery or a change in your routine can put things into perspective. Looking at the stars, suddenly those student loans and work schedules seem unimportant. Climbing to the top of that tree, you no longer feel so small. You tower over the world and grow with confidence. Hiking that trail, your mind seems to suddenly quiet, and you can hear all the living things around you; the trees rustling, the crickets chirping, even the sound of your own labored breath as you walk up hill. Everything seems to be connected by nature. It's a very humbling experience.

5. Nature is Ever-Fleeting

Unfortunately, this is the sad truth; nature is ever-fleeting. Between deforestation, pollution, and climate change (only to name a few), this earth is in peril, and some of these beautiful places I've discussed may only be a distant memory in the future. According to researchers from the Universities of New South Wales and Purdue, if we fail to slow the every growing rate of greenhouse gas emission, global temperature can increase up to 12 percent by the year 2300, making much of our earth uninhabitable. I know that year seems like it is so far in the future, but in reality, 300 years isn't a very long time. Granted, we won't be alive then, but the future generations will be. Are we really that selfish of a species to just put it off for the next generation to deal with? If so, I have news for you, they may also push it off for the next generation to deal with until our mother earth is destroyed. Every minute, approximately 100 acres, or 2,000 trees are cut down, leaving an estimated 140 species of rainforest plants and animals to go extinct every day.

Now, with all of that being said, we still have a beautiful earth to enjoy and appreciate today. So stop putting off that hike, stop saying you are too busy, and start making time in your schedule, even if its only a half hour a week, to be with nature. Whether its just walking along a trail with your dog, seeing the sunrise on the beach, or having a picnic in a meadow, just push yourself to do it. If you plan on seeing a glacier in your lifetime, better go soon. Statistics show that the arctic will be iceless by 2030 if we don't change our ways. The clock is ticking, and as sad as it is, our Planet Earth will not always remain the same. Go out there and see what this beautiful world has to offer you before it's too late, I promise that it will be worth your time.

If you would like to learn what you can do to help save our earth or if you would just like to stay informed, please visit www.nature.org. Also, if you have any ideas on how to enjoy nature or how to help save our planet, make sure to let us know in the comments!