United We Stand, Divided We Fall | The Odyssey Online

United We Stand, Divided We Fall

"We’re not Democrats first, we're not Republicans first, we are Americans first. " -President Barack Obama

430
United We Stand, Divided We Fall

As we are all aware, the 2016 Presidential Election took place on November 8th, 2016. Unfortunately, the results of the election have managed to divide our nation more than I ever deemed possible. Random acts of violence, chaotic protests, and degrading others for their beliefs have hit an all time high. However, I think what's most interesting to me about this entire election is the fact that some people choose to believe that just because someone voted for a certain candidate, must mean they share ALL of their beliefs. However, in most scenarios, that isn't the case.

We all know there are significant differences between the Democratic and Republican parties, however:

There are many people who voted Democratic because they truly believe in strictly Democratic views, just as there are many people who voted Republican because they truly believe in strictly Republican views.

There are many people who voted for Hillary Clinton, simply because they didn't want Donald Trump to be president. There were also many people who voted for Donald Trump, simply because they didn't want Hillary Clinton to be president.

There are many people who socially believe in Democratic views, but economically believe in Republican views, and vice versa.

There are many people that I know identify as Democrats who voted for Donald Trump, just as I know many Republicans that chose to vote for Hillary Clinton.

While I understand a lot of emotions were stirred up during this election, we have to remember, this is a free country. As Americans, we are entitled to our opinions. Whether you were outraged regarding Hillary's emails or if you were left feeling unsafe following some of Donald Trump's comments, this election has been hard on all of us. Treat others the way you want to be treated, don't be hypocritical, and most of all, love each other.

I came across an incredible quote that went viral over all social media platforms this week that read:

"Some of the most incredible people I know voted for Donald Trump, and some of the most incredible people I know voted for Hillary Clinton. The people that I know that voted for Donald Trump are not racist, misogynistic, or hateful, and the people that voted for Hillary Clinton are not hateful and intolerable. If you are someone who woke up this morning and is going to start seeing people as who they voted for, and not as the person you have always known them to be, then you are what is wrong with America. I will never think any less of any person who has different views than me because some of the most beautiful, inspirational people I know will disagree with what I believe all day long, but at the end of the day, they are still that beautiful, inspirational person I have always known them as. Don't think less of people because some of their beliefs don't align with yours, and don't lose quality people in your life because you choose hate over love."

I think that we as Americans can learn a lot from this. After all, in the words of President Barack Obama, "We have to remember that we're actually all on one team…We’re not Democrats first, we're not Republicans first, we are Americans first. We're patriots first. We all want what’s best for this country." Keep that in mind the next time you think about ridiculing others for their beliefs. While you may not agree with them, everyone is entitled to their own thoughts and opinions. Instead of spending time spreading hate across the nation, focus on what really matters, being the change you want to see in the world. Love people, all people, regardless of race, age, gender, ethnicity, background, and religion. We are all fighting for the same cause, to continually uphold the United States as the most incredible country in the world. America isn't great because of any politician. American isn't great depending upon what political party is in power. America is the great because of all of the wonderful people who live here.

A wise man once said, "America is great because we are a nation of dreamers, inventors, artists, builders and doers. We exalt in achievement, rebound from failure and encourage one another every step of the way, from the little league, to the majors, in every walk of life." Don't ever lose sight of that.

So to all of my friends who voted for Hillary Clinton: I am sorry if you feel unsafe. I am sorry if you feel like you will no longer be accepted by society. I am sorry that some of you feel defeated, but I assure you, you are not alone. Stick together and remember, you can vote again in four years.

And, to all of my friends who voted for Donald Trump: I am sorry for the harassment you have endured over the entirety of this election for your beliefs. I am sorry that you're automatically assumed to be racist, sexist, misogynistic, and a bigot. Don't let these words get to you, stand tall and take pride in the fact that you know what kind of person you are, and in the end, that's all that matters.

At the end of the day, please remember: We are one Nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

- United We Stand, Divided We Fall -