Ranking The Top-20 Most Valuable Players On The Red Sox | The Odyssey Online

Ranking The Top-20 Most Valuable Players On The Red Sox

Numbers 20-16

11

In case you haven’t figured it out yet, the Boston Red Sox aren’t going make the playoffs this season, not without a miracle anyway. Sitting at the bottom of the American League East with a lousy 56-68 record after falling to the Kansas City Royals on Sunday, the team just isn’t built for any sort of run to even get close to postseason play.

With that said, those high up within the management hierarchy of the organization are ready to move on to the 2016 campaign, which is evident through the latest hiring of Dave Dombrowski to serve as the team’s President of Baseball Operations. And now that there is new head honcho deciding the overall look of the club’s personnel and roster, everybody is getting looked at under the microscope, all in an effort to build the best possible team for next year.

Nobody is safe, and nothing is guaranteed.

Moving forward, what the Red Sox need to do is decide which players serve the most value to the team at this point. Value doesn’t necessarily mean the importance of having such player on the roster, but could also refer to the potential talent they could be traded for. Boston is going to need a lot of help that isn’t currently on the team, but in the meantime, it needs to decide which figures could serve the greatest value for next season.

I’m ranking the top 20 this week, starting now with numbers 20 through 16.

20.) Craig Breslow – Relief Pitcher

Breslow’s appearance on this list is more based more off of what he has been able to do in the past rather than this season. Serving as probably the smartest man in all of baseball with a molecular biophysics and biochemistry degree from Yale, Breslow has had a tough time for the past two seasons. After posting a career-best 1.81 ERA in Boston’s 2013 championship season, the reliever has had the worst two seasons of his career with a 5.96 mark in 2014 and a 4.28 ERA this season.

So why is he on this list you ask?

The nine-year veteran has had a lengthy stretch of solid pitching throughout his entire career, averaging a 3.30 ERA in the big leagues. At 35 years old, it’s tough to believe that the pitcher is entirely washed up after such a prolonged period of success. And for what it’s worth, almost all of the pitchers in the bullpen have a 3.50-plus ERA this season, so he isn’t doing that much worse than the other guys around him. Of all of the relievers that can throw multiple innings on the team right now, Breslow is the pitcher I would want to keep the most.

19.) Joe Kelly – Starting Pitcher (for now)

When the Red Sox traded veteran starter John Lackey for Kelly and Allen Craig, they weren’t expecting to get such a horrific display of baseball. Craig couldn’t hit, so he was sent down to the minors back in May. As for Kelly, his 5.37 ERA and 0.0 WAR speak enough volumes to describe how poorly he has pitched this season. In fact, it got so bad that the team had to demote the struggling pitcher to the minor leagues just four months after predicting he would win the highly distinguished Cy Young Award.

This is what happens when you allow Kelly to be a starter in the big leagues.

With 40 year-old closing pitcher Koji Uehara landing on the season-ending disabled list with a wrist fracture just recently, this raises some questions as to whether or not the veteran will retire at this year’s end, or if he will even be able to pitch well when he is healthy. Therefore, the reasoning why Kelly is somewhat important to Boston right now is because of his success pitching out of the bullpen, and his potential to fill in the closer void for years to come.

In the two years of his career in which he served mostly as a reliever and spot starter (fill-in for injured starters), Kelly carries a 3.08 ERA through 231 innings pitched. In the two seasons he has strictly been a starter, his ERA floats all the way up to a 4.81 in 202 innings. Now I know that doesn’t necessarily make him closer material, but why not give him a shot?

18.) Ryan Hanigan – Catcher

The bottom line for Hanigan is that there won’t be much room for him on the roster in 2016. With Christian Vasquez – the designated starter before needing the Tommy John surgery that ended his season – coming back from injury, and Blake Swihart finally proving that he can hit in the big leagues, where does that leave Hanigan? I’ll tell you where; the trading block.

All of this isn’t to say that Hanigan is having a bad season. In fact, the veteran catcher is having a stellar season at the plate in regards to where he bats in the order (usually last). Hanigan ranks fifth among all catchers in pitches per plate appearance with a 4.18 tally. While the statistic isn’t going to be the make or break between MVP candidates, his pitch-eating ability matters in the grand scheme of the game by tiring pitchers out. It also helps that ranks fifth in on-base percentage out of all catchers as well.

Therefore, Hanigan really only helps the team at this point as a trade possibility. Adequate defensive performances and patience at-bats aren’t going to get an ace for the rotation (which is what the team needs), but the value is there to perhaps nab a reliever or two that can contribute.

17.) Hanley Ramirez – Left Fielder

After signing a four-year deal for $88 million in the offseason, Ramirez has been one of the most disappointing storylines for the Red Sox this year.

To be blunt, Ramirez has been atrocious compared to what he was expected to bring to the table. His 19 home runs to date are very low for where he bats in the lineup (fourth or fifth). His defense in left field is appallingly awful, as he ranks dead last out of all major league players in defensive wins above replacement (DWAR) with a -2.5 mark. His .254 batting average is a career-low, and his 11 doubles this season are on pace to reach that title as well.

Despite all of that, however, Ramirez still shows some promise. It’s tough to believe that a career .296 hitter is going to drop off dramatically for the rest of his playing days. While 19 dingers is low for what fans want out of their four/five hitter in the lineup, Ramirez still has a good chance of hitting above 24 home runs for the first time since 2008.

There is still three more years left on his contract for Ramirez to prove that he can play well for the Red Sox. The only issue now is where he will play, as his glove is just darn-awful in the outfield. But for now, Ramirez always serves as a power threat behind slugger David Ortiz.

16.) Travis Shaw – 3rd Base/1st Base

It’s very tough to decide how important Shaw will be for next year. On one hand, I never heard of this guy before he came up to the majors to replace Kelly on the roster back in June. On the other hand, the infielder is batting .350 in his rookie season with six homers in just 27 games.

On the third hand, if I had one, 27 games can’t definitively determine how valuable a player can be. With such a small sample size, one can’t say that he is going to make a tremendous impact next season, or even say he will be a starter for that matter. There are just too many contradicting statistics.

At the hitter-friendly Fenway Park, Shaw is hitting a spectacular .455 with all six of his home runs. But on the road, the corner infielder can’t get anything going, hitting an extremely concerning .091 with no extra-base hits and just one RBI. So what do you make of that? Do you only start him when playing at home? Do you platoon him? Like I said; it’s too small of a sample size to tell.

Right now, Boston doesn’t have a first baseman, so I guess you could say Shaw’s value is high enough to make him relatively important. Instead of spending more money to go and grab a first baseman in free agency, why not give Shaw a crack at it in 2016? As far as I’m concerned, he is a low-risk, high-reward player up to this point.