Why UFC Is Savage And Promotes Murderous Intent | The Odyssey Online

Why UFC Is Savage And Promotes Murderous Intent

"Late" hits after the "bell" call for reformation of the organization, the fighters, and the fans.

14

I should preface this opinionated piece by pointing out that I don't

watch UFC fights regularly. However, I did see Dan Henderson's last

career fight in the octagon against Michael Bisping. I was fortunate

enough to have my friend explain some of the background between the

two contenders. In fact this is what led to my firmly rooted bias

against this “sport”.

Initially I was told some of the background and history lingering between the two fighters and that previously Henderson won by TKO against Bisping. Not surprisingly the knockout hit Henderson had on Bisping is one of the most popular in his entire career, which is a lengthy one for a forty-six year-old UFC fighter. The fight which is listed in the following link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh9l58GUZNc) vividly depicts the knockout that stands out among many vicious blows Henderson is famous for unloading on opponents.

What is important to take away from watching the above video is that Henderson won the fight with the first wild haymaker he landed that sent Bisping sprawled onto the floor. That is where the fight should have been over. For those that are confused by what I am saying I will help elucidate this point by pointing out several visuals that indicate everything wrong with Henderson slamming his elbow from a wound-up, standing position to Bisping's potentially unconscious noggin.

The first hit before Bisping fell to the ground caught him in the jaw and immediately his legs gave out. The next thing to notice is how Bisping fell; his head bounced off of the mat, further indicating erratic, uncontrolled movement. Perhaps most important to consider were the facts that his eyes were closed, his hands were limp and not near his face in any kind of protective posture/position, and if you look closely you can see he is no longer making a fist (at approximately seven seconds into the video). For someone who has taken martial arts, which I have in the past, these are beyond red flags and warnings that the opponent is no longer ready to defend himself. There even is no certainty at that time to know if they are conscious or even alive without checking for vital signs. Despite all of these dangers, Henderson made the decision to try and lay waste to an unmoving, defenseless fighter.

What I have a problem with, and what was the catalyst for a lengthy, heated debate amongst me and some friends, and what I took away from UFC and will compare to in any fights I watch in the future is the enabling of potentially unnecessary lethal blows on a defenseless opponent. There is no honor in what the UFC is allowing for the potential unnecessary harm to come to its opponents. In nearly all athletic competitions that have audiences there are rules in place to ensure the safety of the contenders. UFC, some of the UFC fighters, and many of the UFC viewers, are an exception to this general, widespread principle and philosophy.

There are two schools of thought when it comes to the purpose of martial arts: the saving fist and the killing fist. Currently UFC is enabling and promoting the killing fist. Maybe the world needs to watch a few fighters die live on camera before there is some humanity and respect to enter the octagon.