UEFA European Championships 2016: A Recap

Upsets and story lines aplenty.

14
Shutter Stock

The 2016 UEFA European Championships have been going on for several weeks now throughout the country of France. The Euros as they are affectionately known is one of the biggest soccer tournaments outside of the World Cup. The European Championships occur every four years, and as of this year, 24 teams compete, an increase of the 16 teams that competed before. The teams, all under the UEFA banner, which stands for the United European Football Associations, represent countries all of sizes, strengths, and notorieties in the sport, as long as they qualify. The qualification process takes about a year by itself with a national team from each country competing for one of the spots. The 24 teams competing at the Euros this year are.

France, who automatically qualified as the host country, Switzerland, Albania, Romania, Wales, England, Slovakia, Russia, Germany, Poland, Northern Ireland, Ukraine, Croatia, two-time defending champion Spain, Turkey, Czech Republic, Italy, Belgium, Republic of Ireland, Sweden, Hungary, Iceland, Portugal, and Austria.

The competition so far has been fierce with predictions going out the window as super powers fall and tiny nations rise up. Two of my favorite stories of the Euros so far have been of crazy group stage play and of the country of Iceland. The 24 teams are split up into 6 groups, A-F, and play everyone in their group. Several of the groups did not go as predicted. One such group, Group B, featuring Wales, England, Slovakia, Russia, was a prime example. Wales, led by their super star and Real Madrid forward, Gareth Bale won the group, something not a lot of people thought would happen, especially with traditional powers England and Russia existing in the same space. Another group of craziness led me into my discussion of Iceland. Group F including, Hungary, Iceland, Portugal, and Austria, was crazy. Hungary went on to win the group with Iceland placing second. Portugal was expected to do incredibly well and swipe the pitch with these team and Austria was supposed to do well too. That was not in the cards for this tournament as Austria was eliminated and Portugal advanced by the skin of their teeth as Cristiano Ronaldo looked like a whiny SOB on the field. All of this crazy group place led to one of the most lopsided brackets as far as history ever. In the final 16, on one side of the bracket held England, France, Germany, Italy, and Spain. The other half had Portugal and Belgium, one of the favorites to win the tournament. Portugal finds itself in the semifinals in this weaker side of the draw even though they had not looked strong at all and Ronaldo looks like he has lost a step.

On the other end of the bracket sit Iceland, a country of about 330,000, became the smallest country to ever qualify for a major tournament. Not only have they qualified but they gave England one of their worst losses in their country's history. The English faithful, naturally had a collective gasp as their nation was dispensed in the round of 16. Iceland had had some history, especially in the build up to the tournament in qualifying doing well against big clubs, however, so many saw this as a massive upset. I, like many are ecstatic for Iceland who now have to face France in the quarterfinals. The Euros so far have been an amazing tournament to watch with late goals a plenty and more story lines than a reality show.

My finals prediction: Germany vs. Wales

I see Wales winning against Belgium and Portugal. Go my Welshmen!!

Or we could have more upsets and have a truly unexpected final like Wales vs. Iceland, something that could happen, even if the chances are super low.

Of course, none of things happened. Wales was knocked out of the semifinals by Portugal, although I was right about them beating Belgium. Nonetheless, I am proud of them. Of course, Iceland, who was knocked out by home country France in the quarter finals became international heroes. They got destroyed by France and their fans back at home cheered as if their country had won. They were given a true heroes welcome when they returned home.

I love to see stories like we have seen in this European Championship. This event, much like the World Cup only comes every four years, but it is worth the wait every time. We get to see great stories like Iceland and the weirdest round of 16 draw in recent times, and we also get to see great international football played by some of the best teams in the world. I will be back for the 2018 World Cup, and of course the 60th anniversary of the Euros spread all over the continent. As a former soccer player myself and an avid fan of so many leagues, I will accept America's fascination for a month or so, before the real fans, aka most of the world, can have a sport we hold close back from the fair weather fans.

Just a few suggestions competition committee:

1. Get rid of the accumulation of yellow card rule

2. Do not expand to 40 teams, 24 is enough

3. Let families continue to come on to the field at the end of games, it is adorable and cute

Now this had to be submitted before the final occurred between France and Portugal. I am rooting for the home nation and think France will pull it out. Viva la France!