But First, Coffee

But First, Coffee

Article about the best coffee shops in downtown Santa Cruz!

50
But First, Coffee
Brenda Carrasco

Haven't you ever wanted to perpetuate the stereotypical college student who goes to a coffee shop to write their 10-page essay? If you answered yes then this article is for you! Here I will tell you about all the rad coffee spots roasting in downtown Santa Cruz.

From a huge coffee fan to another, moving to a new place where I knew no coffee shops was terrifying. As an avid coffee drinker, I needed a place to go study and drink coffee for hours on end. But moving into a new place proved to make it difficult to find my new coffee home. Therefore, last year I made it my goal to explore downtown Santa Cruz and find a new coffee shop that would fulfill my need for caffeine.

In the end, I succeeded in finding the new place, and I've spent more hours than there are in a day there. This place is called Lulu's. To break it down, I will be naming a few coffee shops I've discovered with a small blurb on what they carry or what I recommend. I actually led a coffee tour at the beginning of Fall Quarter 2015 as part of Welcome Week. I want to thank Gisela Verdeja for being my partner and making awesome pamphlets for this tour! I couldn't have done this article without you. Without further ado, here are the coffee shops we toured.

1. Cafe Delmarette

Address: 1126 Pacific Ave, Santa Cruz, CA 95060

Hours: Open 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m. Wednesday through Monday, Closed Tuesday

Cafe with local and organic ingredients. Coffee and espresso from the local Verve coffee shop down the street. This cafe has food and great coffee. Unfortunately, no Wi-Fi is available. I recommend getting their iced teas and sandwiches! (Their holiday drinks are great!)

2. Santa Cruz Coffee Roasting Company

Address:
1330 Pacific Ave, Santa Cruz, CA 95060

Phone:(831) 459-0100

Hours: Open 6 a.m. – 10 p.m., Monday through Sunday

Coffee shop with small-batch and artisanal blends, cozy and great space for studying or working. Wi-Fi available. Not much of an actual cafe where you can eat, but they do carry pastries and other baked goods. I recommend trying out their Heart of Darkness blend or their Caramel Frappe.

Website: santacruzcoffee.com

3. Cafe Gratitude

Address: 103 Lincoln St, Santa Cruz, CA 95060

Phone:(831) 427-9583

Hours: Open 11 a.m. – 10 p.m., Monday through Friday; 10 a.m. – 10 p.m., Saturday; 10 a.m. – 9 p.m. Sunday

This cafe is vegan and 100 percent organic. It has the cutest names for the different coffees you can order. Offers a variety of raw and cooked eats and has cute little tables to enjoy your wonderful meal. This place has no WiFi and it is much more a restaurant cafe than a coffee shop. I recommend getting the I Am Loved coffee.

Website: http://cafegratitude.com/menu/

4. Caffe Pergolesi

Address: 418 Cedar St, Santa Cruz, CA 95060

Phone:(831) 426-1775

Hours: Open 7 a.m. – 11 p.m., Monday through Saturday, 7 a.m. – 10 p.m., Sunday

Website:http://www.viewmenu.com/caffe-pergolesi/menu?ref=g...

This chill cafe is built inside of a house. They have complimentary Wi-Fi and baked goods to munch on while studying. Great relaxing vibe with a variety of coffees to choose from.

5. Verve Coffee

Address: 1540 Pacific Ave, Santa Cruz, CA 95060

Phone:(831) 600-7784

Hours: Open 6:30 a.m. – 9 p.m. Monday through Sunday.

One of the most well-known and popular coffee shops downtown; Verve. Signature roasts and sweet treats. Wi-Fi available and a very nice aesthetic. I love their hot chocolate and lattes!

6. Lulu Carpenter's

Address: 1545 Pacific Ave, Santa Cruz, CA 95060

Phone:(831) 439-9200

Hours: Open 6 a.m. – Midnight, Monday through Friday; 7 a.m. – Midnight Saturday and Sunday

Last but not least, my favorite coffee shop. Lulu's serves breakfast and brunch at certain hours. Other than that, they carry pastries and other goods you can buy. Wi-Fi is available with purchase. This cafe is open till midnight for all those late-night coffee drinkers. I recommend their Iced Caramel Latte or Iced Lavender Latte (only available sometimes).

Website:http://www.lulucarpenters.com/pacific-avenue

Of course, there are many more coffee shops I did not get to mention. Such as Cafe Benne, Firefly Coffee House, Coffeetopia, Java Junction, and many more! Otherwise, I hope this helped all local Santa Cruz coffee lovers and UCSC students find their perfect caffeine fix.