A Tribute To My Favorite Teacher

A Tribute To My Favorite Teacher

Thank you for teaching me more than just school.

6313
A Tribute To My Favorite Teacher
sites.ssis-suzhou.net/

The most underrated and unappreciated job is being an educator. Without those who are made to teach, no one would be made to doctor, engineer or conduct business. Teachers lay the foundations upon which every child builds their goals. Without strong educators, a student’s academic reach and potential is severely limited. Luckily for me, I was in an amazing public school with the very best teachers. It wasn’t until my senior year that I met my favorite teacher, Mrs. Smith. She truly exemplified successful teaching, and she taught me how to have faith in my own abilities.

Mrs. Smith was a 12th grade AP Literature teacher. From the very first day, I knew that this wasn’t going to be a class where you counted down the minutes. This would not be a class where I didn’t see the point in learning, as usual. Instead, we were given a detailed weekly plan of all the lessons, and she knew what to say and do every single minute of class. The organization was inspirational, but it was the material that really raised the bar. She chose the most brilliant works of literature for us to read, while also giving us the autonomy to chose our own works for projects. We never skimmed the surface of the literature; she wanted us to delve deeper into metaphors, symbolism and context and to apply it to our own lives. She knew that English was not just to teach us how to write well in our future careers. She knew that English could greatly change how we view ourselves and the world, and she made sure that we investigated these meanings.

Mrs. Smith was the first teacher to congratulate me for getting accepted into Duke. She would also congratulate me on my performance in soccer games, ask me how my days were going and what my future career plans were. She constantly encouraged me to take more risks, and I haven’t a doubt that she actually believed in me. If I needed advice in English or in life, I knew that I could turn to her. Her job was not just to check off daily educational objectives. Mrs. Smith really wanted us to be the best we could be, and because of her encouragement, I applied for this writing job here at the Odyssey.

Teachers have such a strong impact on a student’s life throughout school and beyond, and Mrs. Smith taught me much more than just how to write well.