How & Why You Should Travel As Cheaply As Possible - The Odyssey Online

How & Why You Should Travel As Cheaply As Possible

How research can save your bank account while you see the world.

9
Amy Seager

Traveling is something that my soul craves. I’m in constant need of finding new pit stops along my journey. I believe traveling is where you learn the most about yourself, where you meet people that can humble you, feel things that make your perspective shift, I think it can only better your character and enrich your life.

I’ve stayed in fine hotels with room service where the sheets are so white you need shades to sleep. I’ve dined at fancy places where the meal is equivalent to my weekly income. Whereas these things are lovely and some may require them while traveling, I want the opposite. I want the culture. I want the people. I want the nature.

Here’s how I save as much as possible: research, research, research. I cannot stress this enough. Use these tips and you'll be saving bank in no time.

1. If flying, always check two one-way tickets rather than a round-trip. I’ve always used STA Travel when booking, but check every site you can find: Sky Scanner, Student Universe, Google, Priceline, Kayak, etc.

2. If you’re able, check the “Flexible Dates” box and it’ll give you more options, generally in a week’s span with the cheapest times and flights.

3. Your flights will always be cheaper when flying out of larger, international airports. I’ve taken numerous buses to major cities to fly out of larger airports; it saves you many dollars instead of a pricier ticket with little connections.

4. When booking your lodging, compare prices, just like with flights. Also, always check the actual site instead of a third party, sometimes they can surprise you. Airbnb’s are now a major thing, I just recently stayed in one and I’d do it again. But make sure to read the fine print.

5. Hostels: Hostel World. It will save your life and your bank account. But make sure to read the reviews and personal blogs, this could also save your life, but actually. I find that the larger the shared room, the cheaper the rates. Added bonus: the bigger the room, the more people... the more people, the more friends you make.

6. Always make friends with the locals, they’re more than helpful when it comes to great recommendations for food/attractions. This goes for fellow travelers as well.

7. Check with your hotel/hostel if they have any day trips or exclusive offers. Many of mine did throughout Europe and they were amazing and cheap.

8. If you’re traveling to a city where renting a car can be avoided, consider taking the public bus. This can also save on cab/Uber fares and tipping.

9. Always check if your lodging provides free shuttle services to and from arrival/departure points.

10. In larger cities there are always weeknight specials when it comes to food/beverages, research and take advantage.

11. If you’re drinking, take note of happy hour specials, or pre-game. Alcohol is expensive, especially in major tourist-y areas.

12. If you’re thinking of road tripping, especially to larger cities, consider the Greyhound/MegaBus. You will save so much money, but the rides are long, so bring a book or four.

13. Make sure to always have cash on you. Some places still don’t accept cards, people, I know. Sometimes, when you’re off the beaten path folks will give you better deals if they know you’re paying in cash.

14. Bring your student ID everywhere, even if you’ve graduated. (If the expiration date is still good, they’ll never know.)

15. If you’re traveling through Europe, Eurostar is worth it, but make sure to check out all your options.

16. If you’re island hopping, always use the ferry. Small islands make for small airports meaning more connections, meaning more money. You can also avoid lodging costs by booking an overnight ferry; I’ve never been on a full one and lucked out with awesome rooms each time.

17. Carry a water bottle.

18. Instead of eating out for every meal, go to the grocery store in town and buy actual food, it will help, I promise.

19. If you happen to be on the last leg of your trip, leave your toiletries behind for others. I had friends who did this for me, so I returned the favor. I’ve never been so happy to find a half-used bottle of Aloe.

20. Instead of doing museums or shopping, go on a hike, enjoy the outside. But, if you do prefer museums, check out if they have deals or even free days. Again, student ID.

People love to write about their travels. Read as many blogs/reviews/books as you can. It will only help you in the end. Read everything. There have even been times where I’ve reached out to the writers of such reviews to ask even more detailed questions. People are nice and like to share their stories.

I will say that when I travel like this and go the cheapest route, I have met so many more wonderful people, because we’re all in the same boat. We’re all just trying to have a good time and taste the culture without spending a fortune. Make friends, ask them about their trips, and see if they have any advice. I just feel as though you get a more genuine and down-to-earth experience when traveling like the broke twenty-something’s we are. And isn’t that what we’re here for, to lead authentic and true lives by the way of our hearts?

Don’t get me wrong, traveling like a cheap haggle all the time can get tiring, so go on and treat yourself every once and a while. You deserve it. If you should find yourself wanting to travel as cheaply as possible in order to experience the most of the desired culture like myself, I hope these tips help.