A Transfer Student's Guide To Choosing A College | The Odyssey Online

A Transfer Student's Guide To Choosing A College

What I learned about choosing the right school by choosing the wrong one.

68
blog.intelliquote.com
  1. Do not pick a school just because of its prestige. If the school that you feel is the best fit for you is prestigious, that's great. But, for many, just because a university is a household name, doesn’t mean it will be the right fit for them, and that's okay. There are other, and more important, aspects of a particular college that you need to consider.
  2. Look at the general political and social views of the region. If you are heading to a city like Portland, Oregon or Houston, Texas with strong political and social views and aren’t aware of them, it can be a culture shock. Even if you are someone who tries to stay out of politics and controversial issues, like I was, it is nearly impossible to do so on most college campuses. It might happen by surprise, but finding your voice and formulating opinions on various issues, political or not, is part of college. And though it is great to expose yourself to new ideas, if that city has strong political philosophies that are drastically different than your own, it might be overwhelming.
  3. Look at the weather. This may seem obvious, but if you’re from someplace that is always sunny, and you enjoy the warm weather, going to a place with a lot of rain, fog, or snow, can affect your mood more than you think. The same goes for people who love the snow. If you’re moving to a warm climate, bring sunscreen, and be prepared to drive a few hours to the mountains if you ever miss the cold weather.
  4. Do not pick a school far away from home just because you want to get away from your family. I come from a family of 10. I get it. They can be overbearing, maybe a little smothering, and you want your freedom, but you’re going to miss them more than you ever imagined. You’re going to want to come home for birthdays, and vacations, and holidays, and if you’re across the country, those plane tickets are expensive. Even if you aren’t close to your family, when you inevitably get sick first semester, you’re going to want someone to take care of you, or at least send you a timely care package. You will want to trade all your independence to be home in your bed, because let me tell you, walking to Target to buy yourself medicine with a 101 degree fever and a pounding headache is a horrific experience.
  5. Go for prospective student's weekend and stay in the dorms. This becomes a bit more challenging if you decide on a school across the country, but it makes it that much more important. Think about how big America is, and think about how many different cultures are in just this one country. Growing up in a small New England town and moving to California is a great adventure. A really fun one if it’s right for you, but you need to make sure it is right for you, before you just pack up and go. Cultures change across the country, and in certain places it can be more than just dialect and food options. Make sure you like the culture you’re moving into, and that you want to embrace the change in atmosphere.
  6. Ask yourself where you want to go. Not where do your parents want you to go, or your siblings, or friends. You. I’m not saying don’t listen to your parents input, but it should be your choice. You are picking out your home for the next four or more years. Do they have a strong program for the major you want to pursue? Do you want to be in a big city or a small town? Do they have the sport you want to play, or activities you want to join? There are so many factors that go into picking the right school, so make sure you’re making the decision and weighing your own options. College is a very personal choice, if you even want to go, and it probably won’t be the right choice if someone else makes it for you.

Obviously these are not explicit rules that apply to everyone, but they should be taken into consideration. The good news is if you think you’re making the right choice now, and at semester break you realize you chose wrong, you can transfer. It won’t kill you, and your time at the first college won’t be wasted. I like to think that every experience you have, college-related or not, teaches you something and alters your perspective on yourself and on the world. If you look for it, you will find meaning for your choices.

Picking a college is terrifying, and stressful, and you’ll want to get it over with quickly, but it doesn’t lock you in for the next four years. You’re not going to jail. Remember to relax, because it’ll be okay, even if you make mistakes. College is about learning and getting a degree, but it’s also about figuring out what you want. It’s cheesy, overused, a cliché, whatever, but it’s true. Choose, make mistakes, change your plans, and do it. It’ll work out, you’ll see.