Traces Left Behind | The Odyssey Online

Traces Left Behind

When your past catches up to you...and you only want to remember the tattoo

12
Traces Left Behind
Yolanda A. Barnes

There is nothing like the hustle of the office on a Wednesday, it's like we are in the groove of things. We all work together so well, maybe it's just because the week is almost over, maybe because it's the day I buy lunch for the team...either way, I'm so glad work gets done. When you have two major projects in progress, these are the days that leave you feeling like you can take on the world.

They say "teamwork makes the dream work" and to always remember that on my desk sits a picture of my family, 2 little girls and my husband, the second picture is just one of the two of us. You would never guess my story by looking at me. I do clean up well. Deciding early on that changing my life would be the best thing I could do, so I did it...by any means. Thinking about where I came from, I slip a finger into the collar of my shirt to trace the tattoo I keep covered, just like my past, that was until "You have a visitor," said Shelby, "Who is it? Send them in." I said in haste, realizing daydreaming of yesterday is cutting into my today, with a quick fix of the collar, I spin to meet open door with Shelby who is usually smiling. "Thank you, Shelby," I say breaking the silence. Walking back to my chair and turning a corner, I hear a deep-voiced "Hello." I then sit, breathless. I'm not sure how much time passed, but it did, and when I could breathe again, I could feel myself forcing a smile. "Come in, and have a seat. How are you today?" Memories rushing a mile a minute, here, sitting in front of me, a man I had not seen since I was 16, a man I hadn't seen since the last time we kissed, a man that now sat across from me looking for answers of why my life, turned out so different from his...when we started from the same place... did the same things, and why only one of us paid the price. Wednesday just took a turn for the worse.