10 Things To Do In Northern Virginia This Summer

A list of the best places to visit to keep you entertained this summer!

1672

Anyone from this area knows that while it may seem exciting to tourists, Northern Virginia gets boring quickly. You can only go to Tyson's or the monuments so many times before you're broke and bored. Here are 10 things to do in Northern Virginia over the summer that never get old.

10. Great Falls National Park in McLean, VA

On the Potomac River just 15 miles from Washington, D.C, this park is a ton of fun to hike or just walk around.

9. Old Town Alexandria

Although this one may be a little more expensive, Old Town Alexandria is always fun. From the shops on King Street to the Torpedo Factory, there's plenty to do here and it's always nice out by the water.

8. Downtown Fredericksburg

Filled with old classics, downtown Fredericksburg is just as entertaining. You can stop by Benny's for pizza bigger than your face or visit the famous "Sorry Mom" Tattoo Shop.

7. Carl's Ice Cream

Also in Fredericksburg, this family owned ice cream shop is extremely popular in the area and is a summer favorite for families all over that come to visit Fredericksburg.

6. Nationals Games

You can usually get seats for about $15 if you don't mind sitting high up, but these baseball games are always fun, especially on summer nights.

5. Alum Spring Park

Another great place for hiking, Alum Spring Park in Fredericksburg also has a watering hole and cliffs. It's a fun place to swim, hike and climb cliffs then jump from them into the water if you're feeling brave enough. There's also playgrounds, grills and restrooms so this place is perfect for a family day!

4. Chincoteague Island

This many not be in Northern Virginia, but it's still in Virginia and definitely worth visiting. At the end of July they hold a pony swim, but besides that visitors can go swimming, fishing, biking, hiking, kayaking, surfing, hang gliding or golfing. You can also go on scenic cruises and tours or go shopping if you're less on the adventurous side. The island even has an arcade complete with rock climbing, mini-golf, bumper boats, go-karts and kiddie rides.

3. Visit Arlington

Stop by Arlington and you can go to the Pentagon City Mall, visit the Arlington National Cemetery, tour the DEA Museum, see the Air Force Memorial or even stop by Washington, D.C less than 10 miles away.

2. Meadowlark Botanical Gardens

Located in Vienna, Meadowlark Botanical Gardens has walking trails, an indoor atrium and picnic areas that provide plenty to do. It's a popular place for field trips, but plenty of families enjoy visiting as well.

1. The Family Drive-In Theatre

There is a family drive in theater in Stephens City, VA that only charges $8/adult and $4/child. This summer they will be showing Finding Dory, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2, Tarzan, Angry Birds Movie and plenty of others.