5 Tips For Traveling Internationally | The Odyssey Online

5 Tips For Traveling Internationally

Don't forget about the snacks!

15
5 Tips For Traveling Internationally
Lonestar Travel

Being a military brat I traveled... A LOT. So, I'd like to believe I know a thing or two about international travel. As I prepare for my flight to Japan in the next few weeks I decided to make a list of all the essentials needed for a long, terrible international flight to help anyone that may be traveling soon for their first time.

1. Keep your passports and tickets in a Ziplock bag

At the airport, you'll need to repeatedly take out your passport and your tickets, so the best thing to do is keep them all together and safe in a Ziplock baggie. This way you'll know where they are at all times and you won't have trouble pulling them out quickly.

2. Bring your own blanket and pillow

Bringing an actual pillow may be a little much, but getting the neck pillows to help stabilize your neck when you try to force yourself to sleep so you aren't slammed by jet lag is a good idea. Bringing your own blanket, however, is a great idea if you can fit a throw blanket in your carry-on because usually the airline blankets aren't very big and you'll end up cold and uncomfortable.

3. Snacks

Usually the plane food isn't desirable, so you'll pick and chose what you like and end up hungry. You can grab a bite to eat at a fast food restaurant before you hop on the plane, or you can get nuggets to go and eat them later. I personally like to pack my own little snacks that I can pick on so I don't feel heavy and greasy from fast food.

4. Toiletries

Bring your toothbrush. Yes, after a 14-hour flight, you will feel gross. Bring your toothbrush, toothpaste (travel size, of course), face wipes and little deodorant. Anything that will make you feel better after sitting/sleeping on a plane for at least half a day is a good idea.

5. Entertainment

The plane will usually have in-flight entertainment like movies and TV shows to watch but you can step it up a bit by loading your phone with games, bringing magazines, or adult coloring books and puzzles. Keep yourself entertained so the flight isn't terribly boring when you can't sleep!

If you're traveling soon or in the future I hope these suggestions can help! I have found that being organized and keeping all your ID's, passports, tickets, and paperwork in the same place will make your travels easier. Comfort is key so bring your own blanket and neck pillow! You may get hungry so don't forget snacks, and you may feel gross so don't forget that toothbrush! Keep yourself entertained with books, magazines, and puzzle books! Hope you have safe travels!