Top Five Lessons Learned As A College Freshman | The Odyssey Online

Top Five Lessons Learned As A College Freshman

Freshman year is fun, but challenging

4
Pexels.com

Many of us begin our college experiences on a high note, in an excited state awaiting the possibilities of new adventures and incredible journeys. While the thrill of finding new independence changes each and every day as we get deeper and deeper into the beginning of our “adult” lives, we still find ourselves learning how to manage our newly acquired lifestyle. There are many important lessons we learn as we embark on our quest to discover who we are, but there are five lessons I learned that stand out the most.

1. It’s okay to be confused.

Between trying to balance homework, friends and even sleeping, trying to determine what you should do next can seem like a daunting task. There are days where you feel certain you’ve picked the right major and other days where you find yourself questioning everything you do. However, that is not a bad thing. It means that you are beginning to realize more and more about yourself. Part of going to college is about self-discovery so being confused and having questions is par for the course.

2. Friends may come and go but the ones that stick around mean more than anything.

There are the friends who you meet and you get along with, but then there are the friends you meet and instantly feel a connection. Deep down you know that somehow, you will become the best of friends. Sometimes, friendships don’t work out. Although we would like to avoid that, the fact of the matter is, it is going to happen. However, the ones who are there to pick you up when you are feeling down, the ones who encourage you to be the best you can be and the ones who love you no matter what are the ones who you cherish the most. Never let go of those friends, they will become part of you and part of your story.

3. Experience is important.

It is more important now than ever to be bold and brave. Try that club or school event that you never would have tried before in high school. The people you meet in college have a similar goal that you do. They want to succeed and change the world somehow. Get involved and surround yourself with these people. They will show you things you never had imagined and will make your next four years extremely memorable.

4. The meaning of tired takes on a whole new level.

It’s true. You’ve been tired before, maybe even exhausted, but the feeling of tired you experience in college is different. Sometimes the pressure to do well and the amount of knowledge you are quickly accumulating adds up and you wonder how you are going to make it through your 8:00 a.m. Biology class. But don’t worry, you will make it and coffee just might become your new best friend.

5. Time has never gone by so quickly.

As cliché as it sounds, time really does fly by. One day you are walking through the doors of your first class as a day one freshman and then suddenly you are getting ready for second semester finals. You will look back and think to yourself, “Wow, I really did all of that?” And in the end, that is the best part. Take advantage of every day and all of the memories you accumulate. You will look back on your first year and be proud that you finished it and proud of who you are becoming.