Top 5 Holidays Of The Year | The Odyssey Online

Top 5 Holidays Of The Year

The best days of the year

1400
Top 5 Holidays Of The Year
Isabel Leeds

1. Christmas

Okay, if you do not like Christmas, stop reading this and go on Netflix and watch every Christmas movie right now. Christmas is hands down the best holiday. Not only are there tons of incredible movies, like Elf, to get you in the Christmas spirit but there is also the best food. Everyone claims that Thanksgiving has the best food, but if you really think about if Christmas is practically the same food with the added benefit of fudge and cookies. Not only do you get a better meal, but then when you go to nap instead of waking up and feeling groggy you wake up with the excitement of a five-year-old every single time. Santa has arrived! You run to the tree to find presents from Santa, and hopefully, your family, loved ones, or friends, and you begin to tear that spirited wrapping paper off. You are surrounded by your family, having the best food you can imagine, listening to songs that even I, the person who makes up lyrics to every single song humanly possible, know the words to, and you have gifts.

2. Halloween

It is the one day of the year when you can dress up as anything you want and everyone will act as if you are a genius. Seriously, even if you put on a black hat and wear all black and claim to be a witch people will say you are so “vintage” and have such a classic sense of humor. Not only do you get to dress up, you can even dress up with your friends, siblings, or significant others and no one will be annoyed. Imagine if on a random Thursday a group of girls walked in looking like nerds, I would probably roll my eyes. However, on Halloween, I would smile and tell them they looked awesome. Not to mention the candy. Halloween is when you get flooded with candy that realistically will last you until Christmas. So, the combination of being able to dress up as whatever you please and eat candy makes this holiday the second best for sure.

3. Valentine’s Day

This holiday seems to get a lot of hate. I often hear people saying that they hate Valentine’s Day and it is a dumb holiday. Those people, however, are wrong. Valentine’s Day is not just about being in love, it is about love! Yes, it is always great to have that special someone call and say they love you or maybe get you a gift, jewelry if you’re lucky, or maybe something sentimental like a paper swan or a note. However, Valentine’s Day is about so much more than just being in love. Not only is there, again, an overflow of chocolate, but all day you get to draw hearts, wear pink, a color that really everyone looks good in, and blow kisses. Valentine’s Day is about being with the people you love and showing them that you love them, and then at the end of the day, whether you are sad or happy, stuffing your face in chocolate.

4. Thanksgiving

This is a fan favorite holiday. Everyone loves feasting out and then passing out. The food is some of the best you will find yourself with all year and hopefully you won’t drink so much that you pass out at the table. Then, after you feast maybe you watch some football of take a little nap. Don’t forget about the nature walks that always come hand in hand with Thanksgiving. There are also parades which are always fun to watch. I mean, I wonder what Macy’s will come out with next year? Thanksgiving is a time to be with your family, enjoy food, and relax.

5. New Year’s Eve

Here’s to 2017 being better than 2016. Every year people come together to wait for the beginning of the New Year. New Year’s presents itself with bottles upon bottles and courses of food followed by more courses of food. While the food may not compare to Christmas or Thanksgiving, the excitement definitely does. Everyone is screaming and dancing, looking forward to what the next year has to bring. People are making wishes, kissing their significant other’s at the start of the New Year, hugging their family members, calling their friends and saying they love them. It is a time to appreciate what you have and also to make plans for what you want to achieve.