Top 5 Most Breathtaking Places In Western North Carolina | The Odyssey Online

Top 5 Most Breathtaking Places In Western North Carolina

These places are unlike anywhere else

116
HqWallbase

There's a reason people say Western North Carolina is unlike anywhere else in the country. From Mount Mitchell State Park to Pisgah National Forest to the Blue Ridge Parkway, the options are endless for anyone who is looking to explore and discover hidden beauty.

Here are top five places that are sure to take your breath away:

1. Mount Mitchell State Park

Famously known as the highest peak east of the Mississippi River, standing at 6,684 ft, stands Mount Mitchell. A walkway leads straight from the parking lot to the steep of the mountain where visitors can stand on a raised platform and get 360 degree views. On a clear day, you can see Asheville, Burnsville, Marion, and a few other towns from the platform.

Not only the views, but there are multiple hiking trails ranging from easy to strenuous that disperse into all different directions from the mountain.

Whether you're taking a family outing, or just enjoying some down time, going to Mount Mitchell makes for the perfect afternoon outing.

2. Wiseman's View

Located just a few miles from the Pisgah National Forest parking area, is one of the most spectacular views on the entire Blue Ridge Parkway. Wiseman's View is known for it's views of Hawksbill Mountain and Table Rock. If you take an evening trip here, be sure to watch for the Brown Mountain Lights.

As a huge part of folklore of the Blue Ridge Mountains, some say they're spirits, some say it's just science. Whatever they are, they remain one of the biggest mysteries in Western North Carolina and are very worth experiencing.

3. Linville Falls

Located in the Blue Ridge Mountains, Linville Falls are a set of waterfalls that fall step by step. Starting with a twin set of upper falls, moving down to a small gorge (Linville Gorge), to a culminating 45-foot drop at the bottom, it's one of the most beautiful waterfalls in Western North Carolina.

There are several miles of accessible trails with a total of four overlooks for the falls, the Gorge Trail, Erwin's View Trail, Plunge Basin Trail, to name a few. All are less than a mile and make for a fairly easy trek.

4. Grandfather Mountain

Probably one of the more famous mountains, Grandfather Mountain is also a part of the Blue Ridge Mountain Range and stands at 5,946 ft. A paved road leads to one of the mountains several peaks.

Visitors can find a museum and access to the mile-high swinging bridge here. While It may not be for those with a fear of heights, it provides for breathtaking views and a one of a kind experience.

Also, a scene from the movie Forrest Gump was filmed on one of the trails here!

5. Looking Glass Rock

Located in the Appalachian Mountain Range of Western North Carolina, this one is definitely one of a kind. The mountain is located in Pisgah National Forest, about 5.5 miles northeast of Brevard and 25 miles southwest of Asheville. The trails leading to the top are somewhat strenuous, but are very worth the hike.

Looking Glass Rock is also a popular rock climbing destination. From the top, panoramic views can be seen of the Blue Ridge Parkway and all of the other surrounding mountain ranges.

As a Western North Carolina native, these places are all truly breathtaking. If you love to hike, love photography, or just like to travel, these places are all for you and are worth every bit of effort it takes to get there.

Never be hesitant to explore and get out there and discover!