Top 3 Cartoons From My Childhood

Top 3 Cartoons From My Childhood

A brief nostalgic overview of the three cartoons I watched the most when I was a child and early teenager.

28
Top 3 Cartoons From My Childhood
Spacebattles

This week I will keep to the topic of television. However, this time I will be incorporating some nostalgia, especially to those born in the mid-90's, like myself. I would watch these three shows all the time with my brother and sister growing up and they occupied a good amount of my time before I became a high school and college student with real responsibilities. The shows on this short list will probably come without a surprise for most, but they were truly a part of my childhood.

3. The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron, Boy Genius

First on this list is a clever show that aired on Nickelodeon for the larger part of the 2000's. This show featured an intellectual fifth grader who built gadgets and went on adventures with his friends, Carl and Sheen. The other-worldly places that Jimmy would go made every episode interesting, and the 3D animation was unique to any show on Nickelodeon at the time. This show was so popular that video games and TV movies were made featuring the characters, and I consumed most of my time through all aspects of the franchise. Aired 2002-2006.

2. The Fairly OddParents

The next show on this list is one that Nickelodeon is known for. The Fairly OddParents (or as my mom called it, "Timmy Turner"), was a show about a 10 year old boy who was granted the gift of having two whimsical and magical "Godparents" who granted wishes. These wishes would usually get Timmy out of trouble, but oftentimes would be the origin of any unfortunate circumstances he found himself in. Being the child of parents that were never around and having an evil babysitter, Timmy used these wishes as much as he could, and it provided for a fun and interesting television show. Aired 2001-present.

1. Spongebob Squarepants

It simply would not be right if this list of nostalgic cartoons did not consider the arguably most successful cartoon Nickelodeon has ever produced. Spongebob Squarepants has been around and relevant ever since the late nineties, and as a kid and early teenager, I would boast the fact that I had seen every episode from the pilot to the ten year anniversary in 2009. This show had made me laugh harder than any other in my childhood and is truly memorable, due to the fact that I can quote entire segments to this day. "Spongebob references" can be heard and noticed throughout my peer group, and we will nostalgically reminisce on the times when these episodes first aired. Going strong now for 15+ years, Spongebob Squarepants shows little evidence of slowing down or stopping for years to come. Aired 1999-present.

Thanks for reading! This list surely brought back memories of enjoying these television shows when I was younger, and compare interestingly with the types of shows I watch now (see last week's article). I hope that kids who are of age to watch these cartoons enjoy them as much as I did, and I hope that those which are still airing continue to air for a long time.