Top 10 Basketball Games On UVA's 2016-2017 Schedule | The Odyssey Online

Top 10 Basketball Games On UVA's 2016-2017 Schedule

You’re not going to want to miss any of these!

11
virginiasports.com

With only a month until basketball season — yep, that close, the Hoos’ first game is November 11th — we’ll help get you up to date on some of the best matchups of this upcoming year. Hopefully you’ve stocked up on your Sabre Points, because you’re not going to want to miss any of these top 10 games!

10. Virginia Tech: Wednesday, February 1, 8:00 p.m.

We have to include our little basketball brothers on this list somewhere, and our home matchup with the Hokies slides in at number 10 on this countdown. Now, Tech is always an important game just based on the rivalry itself; yet, it’s hard not to look at the turnaround coach Buzz Williams is manufacturing in Blacksburg. They had their first winning record in five years a season ago and return a ton from last year’s team, including top scorer Zach LeDay. This is the first of two matchups with the Hokies this upcoming season. And, unlike last year, hopefully we can get off on the right foot against them this year.

9. Miami: Monday, February 20, 7:00 p.m.

The Hurricanes return only two starters from a squad that made it to the Sweet Sixteen last season. However, Miami brings in two top recruits in the form of Bruce Brown and Dewan Huell. Not to mention, coach Jim Larranaga is a master at having his teams ready to compete for ACC supremacy once conference play starts. This is the only matchup between the Hoos and Canes this year after meeting twice during the regular season and once in the ACC Tournament a year ago.

8. Florida State: Saturday, December 31, 2:00 p.m.

Before you spend your night out celebrating the New Year, our Cavaliers host the Seminoles that Saturday afternoon. In the ACC home opener, the Hoos take on a capable ‘Noles team that could very easily be Top 25 by this point in the season. Coach Leonard Hamilton returns highly skilled players in Xavier-Rathan Mayes and Dwayne Bacon. Additionally, ESPN’s 12th ranked recruit, Jonathan Isaac, a lanky forward who could be a top ten selection in next year’s draft, joins the Seminoles as well. Suffice it to say, FSU has some talent and could pose a good test for the Hoos.

7. West Virginia: Saturday, December 3, 2:00 p.m.

One of the highlights of UVA’s nonconference schedule, the top-25 caliber Mountaineers roll into Charlottesville in early December. For the last few years, WVU coach Bob Huggins has utilized an energetic full court press to hassle and turnover the opposing offense. “Press Virginia,” he dubs it, employing a large bench in order to keep his players fresh. Most importantly though, this is a big game for Virginia because it will give us a good test against a similar type of defense that was instrumental in Syracuse erasing a 15-point second half deficit and costing us a Final Four berth.

6. At California: Wednesday, December 21, 10:00 p.m.

After dramatically defeating the Golden Bears in overtime at John Paul Jones a season ago, the Cavaliers return the favor and make the trip out west this year. And, aside from the season opener in which we travel to UNC-Greensboro, this Cal game will provide the first true road test for the Hoos. The Bears return one of the top forwards in the country in Ivan Rabb and are thought of as a top 25 team to start the season. A win in Berkeley would certainly be good for our NCAA Tournament résumé.

5. At Louisville: Wednesday, December 28, Time TBA

Virginia travels to Louisville for the first of a home-and-home series against the Cardinals this year. This game represents the first game of the ACC portion of the schedule for the Hoos, so a good win is needed to set the tone for conference play. Louisville may have some trouble off the court (that whole thing where a stripper said she was paid to help recruit potential players), but coach Rick Pitino feels confident about this year’s team. Moreover, the Cards present a great offensive test for the Hoos, as they possess a perennially stout and aggressive defense that pressures in the same vein as West Virginia.

4. At UNC: Saturday, February 18, Time TBA

The reigning ACC champions may have lost seniors Brice Johnson and Marcus Paige, however they are still a very talented, veteran team. The Tar Heels will potentially start a McDonald’s All-American at every position and should be led by crafty small forward Justin Jackson and savvy point guard Joel Berry. This is the first of two meetings between the Heels and the good guys, with the second game being played at John Paul Jones on February 27th. Look for the College Gameday crew to post up in Chapel Hill for this one, as both teams should be battling at the top of the league standings for conference supremacy.

3. At Syracuse: Saturday, February 4, 2:00 p.m.

Screw these guys. In the only meeting of the year, the Cavs travel up to the Carrier dome to hopefully exact sweet revenge on the Orange for last year’s Elite Eight debacle. In terms of this season’s Syracuse team, gone are Malachi Richardson, Michael Gbinije, and sharpshooter Trevor Cooney. However, the Cuse cupboard is not even close to bare. They return versatile forward Tyler Lydon and bring in talented recruit Tyus Battle and Andrew White, one of the top transfers in the nation and former Nebraska leading scorer. Regardless of whom the Orange have on their roster though, a win in the Carrier dome would feel pretty darn good.

2. At Villanova: Sunday, January 29, 1:00 p.m.

After a seemingly easy opening run in conference play, this game comes at the end of January, a unique slot for a nonconference contest. The Wildcats are reining national champions and are considered by many to be a top 5 team coming into this season, mostly due to the return of seniors Josh Hart and Kris Jenkins, the dude who crushed thousands of Tar Heel dreams when he did this. Principally, Villanova-UVA is one of the biggest nonconference matchups in the country. As a result, a win could give the Hoos one of the best quality wins in the nation and look very good come Selection Sunday.

1. Duke: Wednesday, February 15, 9:00 p.m.

Yep, who’d you think would be the biggest game of the season? The consensus preseason number 1 team in the country is the odds on favorite at this point to win the ACC and the NCAA tournament. They return national player of the year candidate Grayson Allen, who certainly puts the “devil” in Blue Devils. On top of that, they bring in an elite recruiting class highlighted by two of the top three ranked incoming freshmen in the country, Harry Giles and Jayson Tatum. In short, they’re the most talented team UVA will play in 2016-17. And consequently, after the way we have lost to them in recent years (2015’s barn burner at home, last season’s no-call on a clear Grayson Allen travel), giving Duke a loss would mean a lot. Not to mention, it would also go a long way toward a possible ACC Regular Season crown and could set the tone for a deep run in March.