Top 10 Best Private High Schools in the Baltimore Area | The Odyssey Online

Top 10 Best Private High Schools in the Baltimore Area

A list of Baltimore's Finest

693
McDonogh.org

High school; you either loved it or hated it. My guess is though that if you went to one of the schools on this list, you probably loved it. Private school is just different. If you went to one in the Baltimore area then you know what I'm talking about and this list is for you. Some may argue that catholic and private are two separate categories. For this list however I have made a combination of the two. Either way we all wore uniforms, had rivalries and experienced excruciating prep for college. So without further ado I present to you the top 10 best private schools in the Baltimore area.

# 10. Maryvale

A student teacher ratio of 7:1 this small catholic all girls school is best known for their track & field record and gorgeous castle on campus. They just barely made it to number ten on the list. Sorry, Maryvale but I almost forgot about you.

# 9. Garrison Forest

Beating out Maryvale because of it's better notoriety, GFS is one of the only non-catholic all girls schools in the area with arguably the best dining hall menu and field hockey program.

#8. Boy's Latin

Oh, the boys on lake ave. They are most famous for their flow and lacrosse program which has been suffering in the past two years. With the semi-recent resignation of the head coach Bob Shriver, I think Boy's Latin lacrosse is finally stepping down from their reign in the MIAA conference. I only reference lacrosse because that's really all BL is known for.

#7 St. Paul's School

Making it to number 7 are the well known St. Paul's schools. Both boys and girls schools share a campus that are separate but equal on St. Paul's grounds. Best known for being Episcopal and having a rowdy parents' section during sporting events.

#6 Calvert Hall

Calvert Hall College: one of the bigger private schools with a well accomplished theater program and it shows. Their athletic program could use some help and that's one of the reasons they are number 6 on the list. That and the Cardinal's awful color scheme of mustard and ketchup. Sorry Calvert Hall but you didn't beat out Loyola on this list.

#5 Loyola Blakefield

Loyola wins number 5 over Calvert Hall with it's beautiful campus and better SAT scores. "Roll Dons" is a popular phrase tossed around at this catholic all boys school, which leaves us begging the same question for years: What even is a Don? Event to look forward too: The Turkey Bowl.

#4 Notre Dame Prep

Making it to number 4 on the list is NDP. A well established catholic all girls school enriched in tradition. You would have ranked higher NDP if it were not for your absolutely atrocious uniforms. Last time I checked saddle shoes and Madeline style dresses were out. Most popular event is a phenomena called "Gym Meet".

#3 Mt. St. Joe

And number 3 is another catholic all boys school fondly referred to as MSJ. Located in the heart of Baltimore this school is not famous for mounting men but is better known for their basketball program. Most people forget about the Gaels but they deserve a little spotlight once in awhile.

#2 Gilman

Gilman: one of the toughest academic schools in Baltimore and that's why the Greyhounds have made it to number 2 on the list. Not catholic, but all boys and PROUD of it. Their football program is well known and respected.

#1 McDonogh

There was no question of what school would be number 1 on the list. McDonogh wins with it's extraordinary co-ed education. Founded in 1873 the campus exudes significant beauty. Not to mention the school is a dynasty for sports and championships; nationally known for their undefeated Girls Lacrosse program. Most students from other private schools hate them because they ain't them.