Top 10 Minor League Baseball Team Names

Top 10 Minor League Baseball Team Names

5. Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp

254
Top 10 Minor League Baseball Team Names
Photo by Nick Jio on Unsplash

Minor League baseball has long been known for its affordability for families, the less than superbly awesome baseball on display, and most of all its wacky team names. So, in honor of the World Series being played this week, I thought I would sit down and rank the best minor league team names!

10. New Orleans Baby Cakes

Who wouldn't love a team name as utterly ridiculous as the Baby Cakes? As if the team's name wasn't enough, just look at the horrifying logo of an angry bat wielding baby busting out of a cake! I don't know about you, but the ridiculous team name and logo are awesome! The team's name also pays hommage to the French-Cajun tradition of serving King's Cake during the Holliday season. For those who don't know, King's Cake is a colorfully decorated round cake that is stuffed with small figurines that are supposed to represent Jesus. Sometimes the popular Holliday cake is referred to as a baby cake.

9. Akron Rubber Ducks

The Akron Rubber Ducks derive their unorthodox team name from their city's history as one of the largest rubber producers (specifically tires) in the United States. However, instead of choosing to go with a cute little yellow duck for their logo, team executives chose to create the monstrosity shown above. The terrifying duck in the logo has tire threads as another homage to the city's history.

8. Dayton Dragons

There's really no reason for the Dayton Dragons to be on this list other than the fact that their team name makes a pretty cool alliteration and I think dragons are cool.

7. Buffalo Bisons

The Buffalo Bisons come in at number 7 on this list thanks to a rather peculiar grammatical error with the team's name. The word bison is known as something called an irregular plural. This means that bison is both the singular and plural form of the word. So, this plucky team from Buffalo has a grammatical error relating to the irregularity of the word bison! Go improperly pluralized bison!!

6. Albuquerque Isotopes

While many minor league teams have peculiar names, not many of them have quite the story as to how they got their name like the Albuquerque Isotopes. The Isotopes can credit their unique name to an episode of the Simpson's in which the Springfield Isotopes moved to Albuquerque. Fans in Albuquerque thought that this was hilarious and promptly voted to name their team the Isotopes. Today, various Simpson's themed items can be found scattered throughout the stadium!

5. Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp

Some teams are named after events in tv shows, improperly pluralized animals, and even mythological creatures. However, not all of them have a highly oxymoronic name like the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp! Honestly, what's not to love about a team named for a deliciously small piece of seafood called jumbo?

4. Chattanooga Lookouts

The Chattanooga Lookouts, based on their name alone, have absolutely no business being on this list. Hell, I'm not even sure what a lookout is! However, once you catch a glimpse of the team's logo you can understand why they came in forth on the list. This logo is absolutely horrendous and that's what makes it so awesome! Nowhere besides minior league baseball would you find a logo with lazy eyes.

3. El Paso Chihuahuas

El Paso baseball fans were given the opportunity to compete for the chance to name their new minor league baseball team back in 2013/14. After a long selection process, the Chihuahuas were chosen over both the Aardvarks (which cannot even be found in the El Paso Zoo) and Desert Gators. At first, the name was highly controversial in the border town. However, the name has since grown into one of the most recognizable in all of baseball with merchandise being sold to all 50 states and over 30 countries. Just look at the logo, who wouldn't want to deck themselves out in a t-shirt, jacket, or hat that has the most ferocious Chihuahua you've ever seen on it!

2. Montgomery Biscuits

The Montgomery Biscuits might just have one of the most ridiculous names in a all of professional sports. The only thing more ridiculous than the team's name is their biscuit logo! I'm not really sure whether I'm supposed to love the jolly looking biscuit or be absolutely terrified! Regardless of how ridiculous it may be, there are few team names both as creative and fitting as the biscuits. After all, the south is known for their phenomenal biscuit making skills!

1. Toledo Mud Hens

The Toledo Mud Hens are one of the oldest and most iconic teams in all of minor league baseball. The team has seen merchandise and references about itself feature in countless television shows and movies (including M*A*S*H). Given the team's extensive history, iconic pop-culture standing, and its creative name there was no way that I could rank any other team first on this list!