The Top 10 Best Kendrick Lamar Songs

The Top 10 Best Kendrick Lamar Songs

For when you want to get into Kendrick, but do not know where to start

256
The Top 10 Best Kendrick Lamar Songs
Run The Trap

I am no music critique, nor am I a big hip-hop/rap fan, however, I have a newfound love of Kendrick Lamar, and belief that he is one of the best artists currently making music.

An upcoming tour, and his newest studio release, DAMN., primes this year to be one of Kendrick's biggest yet, meaning that it is the best time to become a fan. If you are like I was just a couple of months ago, then you probably have no idea to start; that is why I have compiled this list of what I believe to be Kendrick's best songs yet. Again, this is just my personal opinion, and I am no music critique, so do not take my word as law.

Enjoy.

10. XXX. FEAT. U2

As crazy as it sounds, this collaboration between Kendrick, and U2 actually sounds really good, despite the two drastically different genre's, and styles of each the two. U2 compliments Kendrick very well in this song, as for a majority, Kendrick is loud, and angry throughout the song; U2's calmer, slower verses serve as a great counterpoint, that gives the song a sense of balance, and allows for good transitions between Kendrick's verses. Kendrick's anger is also a high point of the song, as the lyrics indicate anger against the current state of the nation, and the new administration's affect on the nation; this anger translates into beautifully written social commentary that has a strong message behind it.

9. DNA.

Again, Kendrick's anger is present throughout the song, as the sampling of Geraldo Rivera is utilized perfectly to describe Kendrick's frustration towards the media, and especially how the mainstream media misrepresents rap/hip-hop music. This song as a whole serves as an excellent example of how to criticize the modern mainstream media, while still being catchy and fun to listen to. The inclusion of Don Cheadle in the music video also serves as a great aspect. At the same time, there is some fun word play within the song, that is definetly worth experiencing first hand.

8. good kid

Besides having a great, relaxing, but also catchy beat, good kid also serves as the first part of the climax of Kendrick's concept album good kid, m.A.A.d city. The album as a whole describes Kendrick's life growing up in Compton, and this song serves as the transition point, in which Kendrick abandons his life as a "good kid", and succumbs to his environment, the "m.A.A.d city". The song tells a depressing story about temptation, and how difficult it is to resist the environment one is constantly surrounded by; for the deep meaning behind it, the song earns its place among one of Kendrick's best.

7. DUCKWORTH.

DUCKWORTH. is strange song, but also highly underrated. While the beat is decent, but not great, the story that Kendrick tells throughout the song is the selling point. This song tells the "origin story" of how Kendrick's Father, and his future producer actually met, and became "friends", while his Father worked at a chicken restaurant. Again, while not too "deep" lyrically, or that great musically, the story Kendrick presents is well told, and entertaining to follow as the plot unravels. After countless listenings of the song, there are still times where I go "ahhhh" because I realize something I never noticed before, and everything begins to click together. Again, while technically not an amazing sounding song, the song itself tells a great story that is worth experiencing.

6. King Kunta

King Kunta stands out for a couple of reasons, mainly the extreme catchiness, as well as the use of layering. Every time the chorus begins, another layer is added, making the chorus even catchier, and more refreshing every time it is repeated. At the same time, the short bursts of political criticism, delivered by voice distortion also act as another layer, that breaks up the continual rhythm, and beat that repeats throughout the song. The song as a whole is one of his catchiest, and has a great balance between catchy music, and meaningful lyrics.

5. Backseat Freestyle

Again, being part of good kid, m.A.A.d city, this song is one piece of a complete narrative,and it fills its spot perfectly. The song basically outlines Kendrick just chilling with friends, and talking about life aspirations, in a calm, and catch way. The lyrics are well written, and are presented in a way that resembles adolescence, and the absurdity that is associated with it. The lyric "I pray my dick get big as the Eiffel Tower, so I can fuck the world for 72 hours" can only be described in this ridiculous notion of adolescence that is not supposed to actually make much sense. Overall, a fun song to listen to, due to catchiness, and absurdity.

4. Alright

I have said it before and I am just gonna repeat myself; extremely catchy and great, deep lyrics. Not much more to say other than that. Just a perfect example of what makes Kendrick great in the first place.

3. Wesley's Theory

Being the first track on To Pimp a Butterfly, Wesley's Theory serves as an amazing introduction to the album, as a whole. Throughout the album, many motifs, are apparent, with repeated rhythms and lyrics constantly appearing in each song; this song has all of those motifs, and serves to introduce them all to the listener, in a fun and catch way. This song also features the unique "jazzy" sound that the album has, as well as the abstract sounding beats from the album. Wesley's Theory serves as an amazing introduction to the album, due to the introduction of all of the future motifs, but also sounds incredible as a song in its own right.

2. HUMBLE.

HUMBLE. is the best song of 2017 (so far). Please fight me about it. While certainly not the deepest lyrics, the beat is just so damn catchy, and is great at serving multiple purposes; its fun to both dance to at a party, or to just listen to while relaxing. Again, while the lyrics are not the deepest, they are just "fun", and flow beautifully. The music video is also amazing, and features some really great camerawork, and breathtaking shots. I really do not have words to describe how much I love this song.

1. m.A.A.d city feat. MC Eiht

Oh boy, where to begin. This song ranks up among my favorites of all time, for several reasons. For one, it sounds great, and the music alone solidifies its place in my favorites. The song also serves as the perfect climax for the album it is on, as it displays Kendrick truly becoming one with his surroundings, after the events of good kid. The lyrics are also a high point, as they tell an amazing story, while also having a great flow, that allows for ease when it comes to learning the lyrics, and singing along. This song just appeals to me in so many ways, and it is hard to explain why I truly love it so much. All I can say is that it is easily Kendrick's best, and certainly worth a listen.