Today's 10-Minute Christian Devotion

Today's 10-Minute Christian Devotion

You are a light bulb; don't waste your time trying to get power from the wrong source.

11752
Today's 10-Minute Christian Devotion
Altervista

*Disclaimer: I have an unhealthy love for excessive puns andmetaphors. I apologize in advance; just bear with me.

You are a light bulb. Everyone is a light bulb. We all have the potential of being a light, even if we're not currently plugged into anything. Though there are many different stages of faith, I've boiled it down to three main ones.

1. A bulb that is illuminated.

A glowing light bulb represents someone who is filled with the light of God. A light bulb is made to only be screwed into the socket that was made for it. You could try lighting up a bulb by putting it in dirt or water, but it won't work because bulbs simply weren't designed for that type of power source. Similarly, people can only find true enlightenment through the love of Christ. Screwing yourself into the sockets of work or school, earthly relationships, or material things won't light you up. You'll never feel like you're fulfilling your true purpose without finding the power source of God.

If people are impressed by how bright a bulb is, how powerful such a small bulb can be, or how a little bit of light can light up such a big room, they aren't actually impressed by the light bulb itself. They are impressed by the light inside it. People don't create their own light; they can only reflect the light of God.

Lit bulbs don't have to be afraid to go into darkness. They can confidently be put in the darkest room because instead of the darkness snuffing out the light, the light will spread into the darkness. Its power source is strong, and no force of simple darkness can unscrew it.

John 8:12
When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

Acts 13:47
For so the Lord has commanded us, saying,
“‘I have made you a light for the Gentiles,
that you may bring salvation to the ends of the earth.’”

2. A bulb that is not illuminated.

An unlit bulb is identical to a lit one; the only difference is that it doesn't have a source of power to make it come alive. If a light bulb is not illuminated, it's not serving it's purpose. It was created to give off light and allow people to see what is truly around them. People use lights so they won't get lost, bump into things at night, and to allow them to see their work so they can complete it. An unlit light bulb has the potential to accomplish all these necessary tasks people need, though unless it is screwed into the correct source, it won't fulfill its purpose. The bulb won't see its true worth until it's illuminated.

In order to go from an unlit bulb to a lit one, you must invest time in screwing yourself into Christ by reading His Word, talking with Him, and trying to silence yourself enough to listen to Himthree things I am not great at. Though, the more I try to set aside time to getting to know Him, the more I see why it's so important and can only benefit you. You can start simple: Spending 10 minutes in prayer instead of watching 3 YouTube videos will do so much more for your lifethe earthly and eternal one. Praying instead of singing in the shower will bring you so much more joy. Talking to a friend in need instead of going out for lunch is much more beneficial for everyone involved.

In non-metaphorical terms, people were created by God, for God, and are loved by God. He wants each and every one of His children to feel like they're living up to their full potential and are fulfilling their purpose in life, not wandering around aimlessly, helplessly stumbling in the dark. People can only see life clearly if they have a relationship with God and realize all the potential power and purpose they could have.

Psalm 119:130-132
Every word you give me is a miracle word—
how could I help but obey?
Break open your words, let the light shine out,
let ordinary people see the meaning.

Matthew 5:16
In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.

3. A bulb that is flickering.

A flickering bulb can be one of the most annoying things when you're trying to read or really do anything in a room. You can't rely on it to give you light and though sometimes it serves its purpose, I'd rather either finish screwing it in completely or take it out altogether. This type of bulb represents people who say they love God and try to live their lives the way He wants them to, but their actions and words consistently waver. In other words, they're hypocrites. I won't lie; this description probably fits me the best. I try to live the life of a "perfect Christian," but I'm constantly switching on and off. When I lose my temper with my mother, don't try my best in school and give up a bit, or when I'm not the greatest friend, my actions aren't matching how I say I strive to live.

I believe "Christians" like this are the main reason other people are confused by the religion. This flashing bulb distracts and annoys them, and they just want to get away from it. It doesn't matter if they go one to a lit or unlit bulb, as long as it's not as unreliable as a flickering one. At least an unlit bulb doesn't pretend it'll give you light. It's up front with you. A lit one is the best option, but they are truly rare.

It's incredibly easy to become a person with wavering faith. There are many ways you could be "flickering" light. You could go to church and be a light there, but you shut off at school or with certain friends or at home by trying to find your source of power in something else. So, when your light goes out, it's hard to remember to take a breath and begin securing yourself in the correct socket once more. Your worries, sources of stress, and your wandering mind slyly and subtly unscrew you from Christ unless you are intentionally and constantly looking back to Him for strength and support.

The way to reattain a steady light and reduce flickering is to let all the insignificant, temporary, earthly worries slip into the background and spend time securing yourself in the only source that will provide your purpose and sense of worth and give love. Still keep up with your earthly relationships, your grades as best you can, and try your best at every practice or rehearsal you have, but don't let those good things become harmful by overshadowing the most important thing in your lifeyour Lord, your Creator, and your Light.

1 Peter 2:9
But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God’s special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.

Philippians 2:14-16
Do all things without grumbling or disputing,that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world,holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run in vain or labor in vain.

"Unlit bulb" people will see a difference in those illuminated by their relationship with Christ. They'll be drawn to the lights because they'll want to know why someone who is so similar to them is exuding something they don't have. Christians have the same resources, abilities, and potential as everyone else. The difference is not them. It is what is in themthe love of Christ and the knowledge that they are unconditionally loved, were carefully and preciously sculpted by the Creator of the universe, and have an incredibly important purpose in the world. Showing people God doesn't mean yelling in their face that "IF YOU DON'T REPENT, YOU'RE DOOMED TO HELL!" (That's terrifying and would make me run from every Christian I saw from then on.)

It is living in a Christ-like way where people are drawn to this spectacular light inside you. They'll wonder where you're getting this powerful zest for life and love of people, that they'll start to notice what you do differently and maybe even ask you up front. By solely living with the two most important Biblical commandments in mindlove God above all else and love your neighbor as yourselfyou'll being spreading His love and impacting people no matter how dark it's been around them.

Matthew 22:36-40
“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment.And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’