To My Brothers, My Best Friends | The Odyssey Online

To My Brothers, My Best Friends

I'm always going to have your back, because I know you'll always have mine.

16
To My Brothers, My Best Friends
Melanie Racine

Hi Losers,

I've been missing you both. You two are the siblings who have watched me grow while you were by right my side. You went to every sporting event, concert, academic performance, etc. and stood next to me, quite literally, through all these years. With one of you living in the bedroom beside mine for almost as long as I can remember, and the other living in the next house over, it was impossible to avoid. Along with you being there for me, I was always there for you...even when you didn't want me to be there, I was. As your little sister, that's what I do. It's part of my job description to stand by you and nag you and drive you up the wall sometimes, but I've done all of those things out of love.

When I left for college last year, I was excited. Freshman year was full of excitement and new friends and new adventures. It flew by, and I did miss you, but it felt like soon enough I was home again for summer break. Throughout the summer, we spent even more time together than before and bonded like we never had. Between the stupid fights, the long talks, the late nights driving around, and coming together to "conspire" against our parents (because Dad is convinced that's what we do); It became clear that you two are the best friends I'll ever have. There really isn't a detail in my life that you don't know about these days, and I think the same is true for you both.

I lean on you two, you're the ones I trust to hold me up when I can't seem to find the strength within myself. You're the first ones I run to when something's wrong, and the first ones I tell my good news to. I have a way of making you both open up to me and spill, whether you like it or not. I know I can always count on you for moral support, a good laugh, some tough love, or an a**-kicking- when I need it. If you're going down, I'll always go down with you. We tease each other more than we should, we call each other names, we fight- physically and verbally. We know just what to say to get under each other's skin. We don't always get along, we don't always agree, but at the end of the day, I know you're there.

It definitely wasn't always like this, either. We weren't always so close, we didn't always get along. Especially when I was in high school, we fought and carried on. We "hated" each other and each other's friends and God forbid we socialized in public! Being the youngest, and a girl, it was hard for me not to feel like I was just your kid sister, but times have changed and now I love being your adult sister. It's great to feel included in the adult aspects of your lives, and know that you value my opinion. It's great to feel important to you both.

I know neither of you want to read a long article, hell I'm lucky if you read this at all. I know you will, though because you respect me and you're proud of my writing and you want to read what I've written for you... right?? So with all I've said, let me say just a little more: I appreciate the both of you. I am so proud of the men you've become. I value your friendship. You are the greatest brothers in the world, even when we fight. Thanks for becoming my best friends.

I love you, weirdos.

-Your Little Sis