3 Things I Learned From Cleaning Out My Great-Grandparents' Old House

I had no idea that when I drove away I would leave with a whole lot more of Grandma and Grandad in my heart.

139
Catey Payne

Grandpa recently called and asked if I would like to help clean out my great grandparents' house. After 71 years of marriage, they both went to meet their creator just a few months apart in 2015. Not only did I want to offer my help to lessen the burden on Grandpa, but I also thought it would be a rewarding way to remember them. Going into the house, I had no idea that when I drove away I would leave with a whole lot more of Grandma and Granddad in my heart.

1. Grandma and Granddad quit caring about what others thought long ago.

The first cleaning I did began in the living room. As I began to dust, I noticed all the knick knacks and collectibles that lined every shelf. Not only did they not match, it was very random in contrast to the walls. It struck me as funny to think that young couples spend so much time and effort decorating their house with decor that compliments each other. Most of it is bought from Hobby Lobby, Pier 1 Imports or some other home goods store that promises to give your house "just the right look."

Grandma did not care if she had dozens of things that might or might not be appealing to guests. She loved those things because of the sentimental value they held or simply because she enjoyed each item for a different reason. When they were younger, my grandparents might have been more concerned with how others viewed their home. All I know is by the time they were old with lots of wisdom, they knew that home is more about the laughs and tears shared within the walls than the artificial wall decor.

2. They realized the importance of family.

As I walked through the hallway, I saw a wall filled with pictures. It had all their grandkids shown proudly. Granddad always talked about family history and encouraged us to look at the genealogy books under their living room table. He loved getting asked who someone was because to him it honored their memory to tell a little of their story.

Granddad would just light up when we visited them and he couldn't help but show sheer joy when we hugged him. After visiting for a while, we would always go outside with our cousins and throw the football or play some sport. It was enough for them to just sit inside in their rocking chairs and watch us through their huge glass window. They found happiness in seeing us happy. That is true love.

3. Grandma and Granddad were conditioned to always think ahead.

Living through the Great Depression, they saw the harsh realities of difficult times. Honestly, they didn't like to talk about it that much, but I know that is what fueled Granddad's talks to us about preparing for the future. He always asked us if we were working, even when we were little and asked what we were going to do with our lives.

Grandma liked to expect the unexpected. It was how she was raised. As I ended up in the north bedrooms (as Grandma called them), I smiled at the familiar stash of food stored in there. My favorite part was always the huge amounts of canned food from their garden. She no doubt had the typical "generous food sharing gene" that grandmas tend to have.

It's like my grandparents always wanted to be on the safe side just in case. I began to remember sneaking out bubble gum from the bathroom drawer when the candy holder on the table ran out. We gasped the first time we saw hundreds stashed in that same drawer behind some socks, but we were told it was an effect of what they had lived through. I'm not saying you should hoard food and leave money in random places. I just think it's important to always think ahead, have plans, create back-up plans, and always have a safety net if all else fails. Be wise with what you're given and try to make the most out of a little.

My grandparents tried to teach me many things when I was little, but none of it screamed out as much to me as it did when they were gone. Life seems slow, day by day, in and out, and routine. Yet one day you look up and there is so much behind you that you wish you could have done better, differently, or with more strength. The most important thing to remember is that each moment we need to be truly present in choosing to make it count. Grandma and Granddad would want us to remember that. Above all else, as strong believers, their legacy was to make everything we do be for the Lord.