Those Who Walked Into my Life in 2016

Those Who Walked Into my Life in 2016

16
Those Who Walked Into my Life in 2016

2016 was quite the adventure. You see, I grew up a little bit but I would not be close to the person I am today without the people, some cruel and others just lovely. I learned more about myself than I ever thought was possible in 365 days. Some friends, some boys, and my sisters made this year memorable. To those who walked into my life, despite if they stayed, you changed me.

Sometimes even strangers change your life; like the girl in biology class who was always so kindhearted. The guy lied about having a girlfriend taught me to be less trustworthy. My RA, who reminded me that it okay to be nice to myself, I am human after all. The girls who demonstrate sisterhood every weekend to the freshman girls who get carried away with the idea of freedom.

I am extremely grateful for the group of women I call my friends. The ones that I call my sisters who have never failed at giving me a good time. The ones that push me to grow closer to Christ. My roommates, who put up with my silliness, sassiness, and constant talking and crying. The girls that live on the fourteenth floor of Kenefick who took me under their wing and bring me so much joy. To the girls I met my freshman year that are still my best friends today and always buys pizza at 2am. The girls across seas that I spent my summer with who taught me that distance has nothing on a person. Most importantly my mom who never walks out on me or stops loving me.

Another very important person, this young gentleman from my hometown You see although he was a complete jerk due to his insecurities, he reminded me how to take risks. He may have told me that I wasn’t worth getting to know for more than a night, but he also reminded me why I chose to have a faith life. So thank you for that heartbreak and wonderful lesson because now I live more courageously. Despite your efforts to put me down and completely destroy me; you taught me the importance of not allowing someone to extinguish the flame inside of me. I shine a little brighter because of you.

To finish this wonderful year, I have met someone who I have taken a risk for. Perhaps the only gentleman I’ve met in college who has told me that my standards are not too high. Despite what the future holds for us, he has reminded me that a gentleman will actually want to get to know you for who you are. College may glamorize the hookup generation, but it can be more if you choose to be more. Ladies there are guys who will actually take you out on dates and talk to you and remind you what a gentleman really is.

Most importantly I joined Delta Zeta. In other words, a group of women changed my life for the better. These women remind me to laugh and are there when I cry. Its breath taking to have so many women be your personal cheerleader. In moments that I felt stepped on, these women reminded me how beautiful I am. Delta Zeta gives me courage and encourages me to be the woman I so deeply long to be. Together we leave a little trail of glitter and laughter everywhere we go.

So thank you to all of those who have walked into my life this past year. 2016, you are definitely a year to be remembered.