20 Things You Know If You Live In Sterling, Colorado

Potholes, potholes everywhere.

2808
Erin Nielsen

Home sweet home is what many call Sterling, Colorado. It may not be the sweetest, especially not with the constant smell of cows, yet it is home to many. There is something about the small town feel that many can't resist. Whether it's the amazing coffee shops or the fact your family line has been here for decades, you continue to stay in this comfortable little town. With living in a small town for so long, you notice things. Here are some of the many.

1. You most likely hate everything Nebraska.

The hatred doesn't make an ounce of sense considering that the city looks like the majority of the state, yet most of you do. There is just something about those Cornhuskers that gets under your skin.

2. Wal-Mart is your second home.

You probably don't want it to be. It just seems like it has everything you need that no other store in the town does. Although the self-checkouts have helped you get through quicker since only three of the 20 lanes are ever opened.

3. Everyone knows and loves Wednesday, but only because there is free pie at Village Inn.

Last time I checked, there was a cookie dough pie. That's right people, you know your plans for next Wednesday.

4. You complain about the movie theater prices, but still go because there is nothing else to do on a Thursday night.

Even though the prices are 10 times less then any other theater, you still complain. Yet, you're thankful that it's your saving grace from boredom.

5. The day you found out we were getting an Italian place you had a celebration.

It may not be the Olive Garden we wanted, but it will do.

6. Hot Java is an addiction that we will never get help for.

This is only my fifth white rabbit this week. I don’t need help, you are obviously the one who does. Did I say I love coffee? Cause I do.

7. You have probably been in the parks after the stated curfew.

There is literally nowhere else to eat my McDonalds outside to enjoy the summer air. Plus, playing hide and go seek isn't fun unless it's dark and in the woods of Pioneer Park.

8. Summer days are filled with fishing and tubing at North Sterling Reservoir.

It may not be the most beautiful and there may be more dead fish then you are comfortable with but you still find yourself drawn to the dirty water.

9. There may be more cows then people.

There are definitely more ears of corn, but the count of cows is still up in the air.

10. You can't go a single place in town without seeing someone you know.

It's three in the afternoon at 7-11 and you see an old teacher. Five minutes later, you're at the bank and see a co-worker. There is no where to hide in this tiny town.

11. Many of you probably went to NJC, because why not?

It's cheap. It's pretty good. It's close to home. Why not?

12. The roads have more holes then a slice of Swiss cheese.

Don't try to tell me you haven't cursed the city of Sterling after hitting one of these holes.

13. There could probably be a reality TV show based on our town with all the drama that happens.

I don't actually know why our town name isn't Drama. It seems to fit so well. It rolls off the tongue like all the bullying that goes on.

14. You may have used "I Care Sterling" to find your missing pets.

Every single day, you see a post about a missing pet or someone stealing... again. We try to have each other's backs.

15. Sugar Beet Days are some of the best days of summer.

I'm thankful for the flavored honey sticks and all the arts and crafts. There is something about it that draws me in. Plus, there is always grebel.

16. You've questioned what the city had to do to get such famous people at our concerts.

But seriously, what did you do to get Brett Eldridge?

17. By the numbers, you probably know someone who works at the prison.

The town is too small and the prison is too big for you not to know someone. If you don't, I can guarantee someone you know does.

18. Baja is life.

Baja may make you poop your pants but you love it none the less.

19. You've seen the two-headed calf.

This was everyone's highlight of visiting the Overland Trail Museum.

20. There may have been a chance you've tried to leave, but there is something about this town that just keeps pulling you back.

You have wanted to be anywhere but this little town, but it keeps pulling you back. It's much like a black hole. But we don't mind; it kinda grows on you... like mold.