A Few Things I Have Learned From The Best Person I Know: My Mom | The Odyssey Online

A Few Things I Have Learned From The Best Person I Know: My Mom

My mom not only is my number one supporter, but has taught me a countless number of things.

268
Caiti Spence

A mom is the greatest blessing life can bring. If you are like me, your mother is not only your #1 fan, but also your biggest inspiration. My mom has always gone above and beyond to make sure I have the best life possible, and has been there every step of the way to guide and encourage me. My mom has taught me many things, perhaps the most important being the fact that she is the best mom around. Below are a few things I have learned from the best person I know over the years:

1. How to be strong in a tough situation.

My mom is the strongest person I know, and has always taught me that being strong in the hardest situations results in being someone that can handle anything that life throws my way. My mom is one tough cookie, let me tell you, and through her I have learned not only that it is important to always remain strong, but also that it is important to be strong for other people. To be that person that someone can lean on when they can't necessarily be strong themselves.

2. Success is achieved through hard work.

For as long as I can remember my mom has drilled into my head that in order to become someone worth being, I have to work hard and diligently. This is perhaps one of the most important lessons I have learned from her. I have seen this one actually play out in my mom over the years. My mom has always worked hard for our family, and through her hard work and success I have learned what it truly looks like to work hard.

3. To be the goodness that is in the world.

My mom is the most giving person I know. She devotes her life to helping others and has taught me that no matter what is going on in my personal life to always find a way to help others. To be an example of what goodness is, and to be a role model to those that need goodness in them.

4. A mother's love is unconditional.

My mom has proved time and time again that her love for me has no limits. From all the big things, such as giving me life itself and allowing me to live it to the fullest; to the small things, such as putting me in every extra curricular activity possible when I was younger and bringing me my lunch or homework when I left it at home. She still proves it to me everyday through various things such as when I receive a card in the mail or even just getting a text from her. She use to ask me when I was younger "How much does mommy love you?", and the answer would always be "More than anything in the whole wide world." Me too Mom, me too.

5. Family is forever, no matter what.

There is no quitting on family. No matter how much they annoy you, they are always there. My mom has taught me to always cherish my family and everything that each member of my family brings to the table. My family is always there for me to fall back on, and I have learned that no matter how bad I screw up, they are never going to give up on me.

6. Always stand up for what I think is right, even if I'm standing alone.

My mom has always taught me that in order to thrive you have to be willing to stand up for what you believe. An important role of a leader is defending what they believe, and my mom has taught me that standing up for myself is not only important in becoming a leader, but also allows me to be confident in what I believe.

7. Accept people for who they are

People are going to be who they are regardless of whether or not you want them to be that person. My mom once told me that people will only change if they want to. One of the most important lessons my mom has taught me is to just accept people as they are, not to try and change them into someone you know they will never be. She taught me that you just have to love them regardless, flaws and all.

8. I am more than enough

Every teenage girl struggles with confidence from time to time. My mom has always done her best to make me feel as if I'm enough, and she has always taught me the importance of self-love.I have always been one of the most important things in her life, and she has made sure I know how crucial I am to her and the rest of my family. Confidence doesn't come easy, but my mom has made sure I know just how loved I am. I know that I am enough because of my mom's endless encouragement and support.

These are just a few among an endless number of things I have learned from my mom. Mom's really are a special gift, and I am so beyond blessed for the one I have. Thank you Mom, for always being so much more than just an average mom. From all the things you have taught me to all of the things you continue to teach me, I'm so grateful to learn all that I need to know from someone who seems to always have the answer. I love you so much more than I could ever express.

From Your Site Articles