11 Reasons Why Growing Up in Matamoras is Great | The Odyssey Online

11 Reasons Why Growing Up in Matamoras is Great

It might be a small town, but it has many treasures.

318
Discover Pike PA

People that grew up in Matamoras, PA know the struggles of trying to explain to someone exactly where they live. "Oh, it's near the NY/NJ/PA border." Most people just smile and nod, but in reality, they still don't have a clue where that is. It is quite a small borough, but growing up in Matamoras can give the best memories.

1. Visiting the Tri-states Monument.

There's a rock right on the border of the three states that is easily accessible if there isn't any construction on 84. Sure, you have to drive through a creepy cemetery to get to it, but you can brag that you were in 3 different states at the same time.

2. Traveling to New Jersey.

Everyone knows that New Jersey has the cheapest gas in the tri-state area. Plus you don't have to pump your own gas. It's also a short drive to the Sussex County Fair. New Jersey can easily be identified by the High Point Summit that peeks over the valley in Matamoras.

3. Having a hearty meal at Stewie's.

Although they've changed the name from Stewart's to Stewie's in the past year, the food is still the same! Stewie's has some of the best fries, and the staff is so sweet!

4. Eating ice cream and car watching at Polar Bear.

This is the best place to get ice cream in town. A lot of sports teams come here after a game, and Polar Bear always has a friendly atmosphere.

5. Playing in Airport Park.

Although it's been renamed "Firefly Field", most residents still call the town's park by it's original name. The street used to be a runway for small planes, and most teens learn how to drive on the thick, long road

6. Seeing a movie at the local movie theater.

There used to be a movie theater where the local grocery shop Price Chopper is currently. After that theater shut down, the building that was once Grand Union was converted into the town's new movie theater. It's kind of funny how the grocery store got turned into a movie theater, and the old movie theater got turned into a grocery store.

7. Picking up Chinese at Peking Garden.

The local Chinese restaurant has some great chinese food that can be picked up in less than 15 minutes if you order by phone!

8. When the Kmart had Little Caesars.

The bread sticks were the best at Little Caesars. And now the area has sadly been turned into a sale section.

9. Getting a sub from Chrissie's Deli.

The local deli on Pennsylvania Avenue was a local treasure. Sadly, it closed down a while ago. Kids that grew up with Chrissie's Deli, however, will always remember asking for a pretzel stick from behind the counter.

10. Going to prom at the Best Western.

Even though there is now a Hampton Inn in front of it, DV insists to continue having prom at the Best Western. And most DV kids have at least one memory of the prom. In the past, the area in front and behind of the hotel has been used for the local carnivals.

11. Not being able to go to the fireworks stores.

For some reason, Matamoras has 2 fireworks stores, but due to Pennsylvania law, residents can't actually buy most of the things in the store. Ironic or just plain weird?