The Theories Of The Bermuda Triangle | The Odyssey Online

The Theories Of The Bermuda Triangle

From UFO's to methane hydrate, what is responsible for the dozens of lost souls?

740
The Theories Of The Bermuda Triangle
Voolla

The Bermuda Triangle is beleaguered by the countless theories of mysterious occurrences, and I decided to delve into the most riveting of them hoping to uncover the truth. This mythical section of the Atlantic Ocean bounded by Miami, Bermuda, and Puerto Rico is where dozens of airplanes and ships have disappeared. One of the most significant unexplained circumstances was that of the disorientation of pilots from a U.S. Navy bomber squadron. The planes vanished. The same happened with boats, disappearing in perfectly balmy weather.

Also referred to as the Devil’s Triangle, the Bermuda covers 500,000 square miles of ocean. Christohper Columbus sailed through this area on his first voyage to what was then the New World. There are accounts of him citing a great flame of fire (most likely a meteor) crashing into the sea with a strange light appearing in the distance a few weeks later. Another portion of his writing describes erratic compass readings, which could possibly be attributed to the silver of the Bermuda at the time, consequently causing the true north and magnetic north to be lined up.

Circa 20th century, the mysteries surrounding the Bermuda heightened, including the infamous tragedy of the USS Cyclops, a Navy cargo ship with 300 men and 10,000 tons of manganese ore. The Cyclops sank between Barbados and the Chesapeake Bay, but never sent out an SOS and no wreckage was discovered. This begot endless disappearances and abandonments for years to come. These are some of the top theories:

1. Vortices

In other words, places with extreme currents and temperature variations. This could be affecting the electromagnetic fields, and ten other locations have been identified to have vortices.

2. Magnetic Variation

The Coast Guard proposed this theory stating that the Devil’s Triangle is one of the two places that has a true north according to a magnetic compass. There is thusly a 20-degree variation, which could cause a navigator to get lost.

3. Electronic Fog

In the book, The Fog written by Rob McGregor and Bruce Gernon, the main character Gernon himself witnesses and survives this happenstance. The fog is depicted as a funnel-shaped vortex, which caused all electronic and magnetic instruments to fail. There was no sky or the horizon, and after 34 minutes they were in Miami.

4. UFOS

Should be blaming the aliens? Well, to those that believe in aliens’ existence, it has been said that this is a point of capture for humans. There is a gaping hole in the pile of evidence for this conclusion, but a likelihood for some.

5. Atlantis

The legendary island known as Atlantis is said to be near the premises of Bermuda. It is alleged that Atlantians were a technologically advanced civilization, thus spawning the strange interference with modern ships and planes. Dr. Ray Brown discovered a pyramid-like structure with a smooth, mirror-like stone finish in 1970. The structure is near the Bari Islands in the Bahamas, and as Dr. Brown swam throughout the pyramid he noticed an absence of coral and algae, yet a presence of the unknown light source. The center displayed a sculpture of human hands with a four-inch crystal sphere with a red gem suspended above on a brass rod.

6. Ghosts

Dr. Kenneth McAll, a psychiatrist, claims that this area could be haunted by spirits of African slaves that were known to have been thrown overboard on the voyage to America. His account of his sail throughout the waters explained a mournful singing and resonated with the same fortitude on every part of the ship.

7. Methane Hydrates

An American geochemist by the name of Dr. Richard McIver asserted that methane hydrates bubble up from sea sediments. Basically, landslides on the ocean floor release vast amounts of this gas on certain occasions, which reduces the density of water. If density drops, so does a ship! This gas could also ignite aircraft engines.

Although nothing conclusive has been found in regards to the Triangle, what can be said is that there is heavy travel activity in this relatively small region, so most people have forgotten their worries when taking a vacation to the Bermuda.