The Ultimate Pittsburgh Summer Bucket List

Let the adventures begin

79
Dave DiCello

Pittsburgh is and will forever be so much more than just a hometown to me. Here are 12 things to do during your summer spent in the Burgh!

1. Pirates Games

PNC Park is home to the Pittsburgh Pirates and has been ranked as one of the best ballparks out of all the Major League Baseball (MLB) facilities. Head on down to the North Shore and cheer on the Pirates! As a fan you will receive the ultimate baseball experience with the scenic backdrop showcasing the city skyline.

2. Outdoor Movies

Grab a blanket and a few friends and attend an outdoor movie at one of the beautiful parks around town. There are weekly movies that are showed for all ages to enjoy at no cost (Rooftop Shindig, Schenley Park, Arsenal Park, Highland Park, Grandview Park, Brookline Park, Riverview Park, and West End).

3. Kennywood Park

Plan a day trip to the most beloved amusement park in Pennsylvania, Kennywood. This amusement park will satisfy all the roller coaster enthusiasts and you can’t leave without purchasing french fries at the Potato Patch.

4. Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium

Pittsburgh Zoo & PPG Aquarium is one of the few to offer the zoo and aquarium combination in the United States. Located in Pittsburgh’s Highland Park, the zoo exhibits over 4,000 unique animals. The zoo is divided into various sections, each of which focuses on a particular theme (Kid’s Kingdom, PPG Aquarium, Asian Forest, Tropical Forest, African Savanna, Bears, Cheetah Valley, Water’s Edge, and The Islands). Be sure to check out each area because you don’t want to miss something!

5. Randyland

Randyland is one of the most colorful landmarks located in Pittsburgh. Artist Randy Gilson, opens the courtyard where visitors are welcome to come and explore the public art displays around the premises. Be sure to bring along a camera because this is an excellent place to take artsy photos!

6. Phipps Conservatory & Botanical Gardens

Phipps Conservatory & Botanical Gardens is a unique public garden nestled in Schenley Park. There is always a flower show or some sort of event going on that attracts an array of visitors.

7. Cultural District

Pittsburgh is rich in the performing arts. Be sure to visit the Cultural District where a wide selection of performances can be viewed. You can attend a Broadway show, musicals, plays, or even listen to the world-renowned symphony.

8. Station Square

Station Square is an indoor and outdoor shopping complex, including over 20 restaurants and eateries. This location is the port for The Gateway Clipper Riverboat Fleet. A riverboat ride is a wonderful way to view the city from our beautiful rivers. If you are looking for a night out on the town, Station Square is where you will want to be!

9. The Strip District

The Strip District is without a doubt the center of Pittsburgh’s food scene with ethnic grocery stores, food markets, on-street grills, and so much more. This neighborhood is a popular scene seven days a week and is worth the trip.

10. Yoga in the Square

FittPgh and the Pittsburgh Downtown Partnership, team up to provide “Yoga in the Square” which is a complimentary one-hour yoga session led by local yoga instructors from around the city. Yoga in the Square takes place every Sunday at 10 A.M. from May 29-September 4. This is an excellent way to start off your morning with fellow Pittsburgh yogis. Just don’t forget to bring your yoga mat!

11. Kayak at the Pointe

On a beautiful day downtown, you will certainly be able to spot bright yellow kayaks navigating around the three rivers of Pittsburgh. It is not necessary to have previous experience to enjoy your time on the water and it is very easy to catch on quickly!

12. Mount Washington

I saved the best for last. Mount Washington sits high atop the Pittsburgh skyline and the confluence of the three rivers. Here you will find a number of outlook overhangs to capture the magnificent views of Pittsburgh.