The Struggles Of Living Between Two Cities, And Tips To Make It Easier | The Odyssey Online

The Struggles Of Living Between Two Cities, And Tips To Make It Easier

Living between two cities is fun, but this lifestyle doesn't come without its challenges.

2210

Being a college student, I feel very unsettled sometimes. I’m constantly back and forth between Rochester and Syracuse, between school life and home life, between my apartment and my house with my family. While I love getting to call two different cities “home,” this lifestyle does not come without its complications. Here are some of the struggles I’ve faced living between two different cities, and some tips to make it easier if you’re doing the same thing.

Struggle:

I’m getting ready for a night out with friends, and I reach for my favorite black dress… only to realize it’s nowhere to be found. I always find that the outfit I want isn’t where I want it.

Solution:

Rather than putting the clothes I wear both home and at school away in my closet, I keep them neatly in a plastic tote. So when I’m going from place to place, I can just grab the bin and go! That way, I know I have my favorite outfits all in one place.

Struggle:

My friends always seem to be doing something fun wherever I’m not. If I go home for the weekend because nothing is happening at school, it seems like everyone makes last minute plans.

Solution:

I do my best to put the social media aside for the time being. I enjoy the moment I happen to be in. Sure, my friends at school may be going out while I’m sitting at home, but they’ll be going out again soon. In the meantime, I appreciate the home cooked food and my own bed.

Struggle:

I get back to my apartment from a weekend at my house, and I realize the only food I have is a granola bar, a rotten apple and some jelly. I didn’t plan on grocery shopping just to be there for a few days at a time.

Solution:

Keep non-perishables, like soup and pasta, in the cupboards. Also, keep a few staple frozen dinners on hand for when you just don’t want to face Wegmans.

Struggle:

Even though I’m home, I still feel homesick for my other city. I miss my friends, my favorite places and my other comfy bed.

Solution:

Both of my rooms are full of pictures from both my home life and my school life. I also make time for Skype dates with friends and family, so I can talk to the people I know I won’t be seeing for awhile.

Although living in two different places has its difficulties, I want to end on a positive note. At the end of the day, I love calling two places home. I have double the friends, double the community and double the places to explore and adventure through. Despite the occasional struggles I face, I wouldn’t trade my two current homes for the world.
From Your Site Articles