The Strongest Thing I’ve Ever Done | The Odyssey Online

The Strongest Thing I’ve Ever Done

Going to counseling was the best choice for me.

25
The Strongest Thing I’ve Ever Done
Ingrid H. Turner

Why in the world would anyone actually talk about their feelings? That’s what I thought when my roommate from freshman year told me that I should go to counseling. I’ve never been one to talk about what I was feeling whatsoever – I always bottled everything up until it got to be too much and everything just exploded, making it worse than if I had just talked about it earlier.

I started feeling very depressed during my sophomore year of college. I had felt depressed and anxious off and on since high school, but it didn’t get bad until that year. The friends that I loved being with while I was at college were people I just didn’t feel like being around. I didn’t feel like being around anyone really. They are my best friends and I never want them to feel like I don’t want to be around them, but I wanted nothing but to be by myself during that time. I just wasn't myself.

Counseling was something that scared me to death. Whenever I started to talk about my feelings to anything, all I did was cry and I couldn’t get anything out. So, I went a very long time keeping everything to myself because I couldn’t get the courage to actually do anything about what I was feeling.

There were so many times that I told myself that I was going to go make an appointment, but when it came down to it, I never went. It wasn’t until February of my sophomore year that my boyfriend said, “Why don’t you go? I’ll go with you if you want.” I finally went and made the appointment. That’s when I realized that the anticipation of going was so much worse, and afterward I felt much better.

Brenan went with me for my first counseling appointment, and I was nervous beyond belief! But as I said before, it really was ok when the appointment started. I cried the whole time, but it felt so wonderful to get everything out. I felt like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders and I had a newfound freedom with my feelings.

I’ve been going to counseling since February 2016, and I have been taking medication for my anxiety and depression since April 2016. If I had not gone to counseling, I would still be isolating myself, hating myself, and taking it out on myself when I did something I thought was wrong. I still have a very long way to go, but I am so happy to say that I have been making progress every day.

I am still struggling with feeling depressed every now and then, and I feel anxious quite a bit, but I am trying to find healthy ways that I can cope with those feelings. There have been so many instances where I feel ashamed of how I’m feeling, people saying that I’m too sensitive and to just get over it and change my attitude and I’ll be fine. I know that’s not true, and I work very hard to be able to go through a day without feeling so depressed that I can’t get myself to do anything.

I am brave. I have made progress. I will make more progress.