The Side Effects Of Writer's Block

The Side Effects Of Writer's Block

*On The Hunt For Inspiration*

319
The Side Effects Of Writer's Block

“There once was…” no that’s not good…

“Every day I…” no that isn’t good either…

“Once in a while…” forget it I’m starting over…

Writer’s block is a treacherous bridge to cross especially when you have a deadline. I suffer from chronic writer’s block and trashed about three paragraphs of an uncooperative article before starting this one. Personally, I’ve always found research papers to be easier to write than fictional or creative pieces. I simply have a hard time coming up with good ideas on the spot. Between papers for school and articles for Odyssey, ideas are either flowing like a river or stuck under a boulder. I even have writer’s block while I’m writing this so here are side effects that happen when I’m in a funk.

1. I constantly find myself staring aimlessly.

It’s not that I’m specifically focusing on something out the window or on my phone, I usually end up unfocused and staring through my laptop. It probably looks terrifying to an outsider, but if they know what it’s like to be trapped while trying to write, they understand.

2. My step counter does not lie when it comes to walking back and forth around my apartment.

The layout is perfect for casually walking from my room to the kitchen and back again trying to decide what to write next.

3. The worst is having a good rhythm and then all of a sudden, one snack break later, I lose my train of thought and then proceed to do the above activities.

4. The pro’s and con’s to having a kitten is there is always a little guy to play with and chase around but then I remember I have to continue writing.

.

It’s a rough life having a cute fur ball laying next to you… or on your laptop… which also doesn’t help with the procrastination of writer’s block.

5. I WILL be hungry even if I’m not.

No snack left behind! No cracker is safe! Did you say ice cream?

6. Wow exhibit A: I was just on my phone for 20 minutes trying to figure out what to say next.

7. Showering!

Not just getting my body clean but also my brain! Taking a super hot shower helps clear my mind and I come up with some great* ideas. *occasionally very bad ones.

Trying to finish a paper with writer’s block is like living with wet nails; you want to do something but you can’t without messing up the paint. But if you are struggling, there are a few tricks to help you move on. For instance, starting from the middle or writing down words of inspiration can aid in the writing process. So the next time you’re like me and pacing a rut in your kitchen floor or finishing that bag of popcorn, remember that writer’s block happens to the best of us and there are ways to finish that paper!