How Netflix Is Using Its Powers For Good, Not Evil | The Odyssey Online

How Netflix Is Using Its Powers For Good, Not Evil

And why it's so important that we recognize that.

18
seriesblog.com

My family is full of television- and movie-lovers, so it’s no surprise that Netflix has been in my family since its inception. We started out when Netflix was just about getting sent DVDs in the mail and got grandfathered in when the price increased. I’d been a long time enjoyer of Netflix by the time streaming came around, begging my dad to put DVDs on our “wish list.” As part of an avid Netflix family, I was -- of course -- intrigued when they started their original shows. Now I am a huge fan of quite a few Netflix originals and am well aware that many of the shows I don’t watch are beloved by lots.

Recently, it was announced that Netflix had been nominated for a record-breaking 54 Emmy nominations for shows like "Orange is the New Black" and "House of Cards." Aziz Ansari had a particularly special nomination, becoming the first American-Indian actor to get a nod for comedy acting for his show "Master of None." Even more recently, Netflix released its newest original series, an eight-episode show called "Stranger Things." I, personally, watched the entire first series in under 48 hours, but don’t just take my word for it. Not only does the sci-fi thriller hold a 94 percent on the rating entity Rotten Tomatoes, but it’s also been praised by the likes of Guillermo Del Toro and Stephen King. After binge-watching the heck out of this show, I realized that Netflix has been on a hot streak with its original shows, and that’s important to note.

Even though Netflix has been on a downward trend for this fiscal quarter, the company is doing extremely well on producing content -- obviously 34 Emmys is nothing to frown about. Because of the subscription fee, Netflix is able to hire many big-name actors, such as Brad Pitt and Kevin Spacey. In addition, since Netflix is free of a lot of the restrictions that cable channels are under, they are allowed to make shows the way they want. This allows Netflix to create any type of show, with all the sex, violence and inappropriate humor that the people know and love. I’m not sure why these shows do so well, with their cable counterpart being pay per view channels like HBO and Starz, but they really sell. Shows like "Outlander" and "Game of Thrones," which nobody can deny the popularity of, are big moneymakers. I believe part of the reason is that without the cable and ad restrictions, it allows for the shows on Netflix to be more realistic and tackle bigger issues. Also, since humans in this day and age are terrible with instant gratification, Netflix releasing an entire season at once really appeals to people.

Netflix has the ability to portray strong messages without all the restrictions of cable. Some of their shows are comedic, yes, but all have a strong, important messages that really touch people. I can’t speak for all the shows specifically, but one of my favorite shows, "Orange is the New Black," has tackled many social issues, including prison overcrowding, transgender issues, institutional racism and police brutality. The show does this in a classy and entertaining way, informing the viewer without seeming forced. Also, with a seemingly unlimited budget, the shows are able to able to portray reality even better. Even the comedic show, "The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt," sends the important message of trying new things and living life to the fullest. It’s also freaking hilarious.

Netflix’s originals shows are rising in popularity, and for all the right reasons. Netflix is using its power for good, spreading important messages and good television, and we should really praise that in today's world.