The Power Of Our Words

The Power Of Our Words

Use Your Words To Make A Change In The World

32
The Power Of Our Words
hdwallpaperdaily

Have you ever heard the expression, "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me?" Of course you have; every kindergartener is fed that line from the moment they get called a mean name during snack time. But words are so much more powerful than we like to fool ourselves into thinking. And though they can do great things, they really do have the power to hurt us.

I've been writing for The Odyssey for twenty-seven weeks now. That's twenty-seven articles about social activism, books, riding the train, speaking another language, eating dessert, and being kind. Twenty-seven glimpses into what makes me, well, me. And here is my twenty-eighth, my final piece before I move on to write for my school's newspaper, The Villanovan.

I was stumped before I started writing this article. How could I end my career here in a way that would show you all one last time who I am? How could I take roughly seven months worth of writing and be able to funnel it into one final article?

But then I realized that there is something that wove through my writing that will always be near and dear to my heart. The funny thing is, it's such a simple and obvious choice that I never realized it was there.

And that one thing is words.

I don't see the world in numbers; I see it in words. I think that when we fail to speak, our writing, our music, our poetry speaks for us. Words inspire me in a way that equations and symbols never could, and I aspire to be able to do that for others.

In the United States, we pride ourselves on our First Amendment right of freedom of speech. It is a privilege to be able to have this right, yes, but like any other privilege, freedom of speech can be abused. And that's where the words begin to hurt, instead of help us.

So why are we okay with throwing them around as though they were nothing? Why do we neglect to realize their strength and power? Why do we assume that we can say whatever we want, and people will just take it?

Yes, I understand that these are sensitive times. And yes, some people do hang on to every word they hear or read, and can be easily offended by them. But I think we need to start recognizing and being conscious of the power that our words have before we use them.

Yet always keep in mind that though words can offend us, they can also inspire us. Words can tear us apart, but they can bring us together as well.

So speak up and speak out! Let your voice be heard! Remember the power of your words, and how they affect all those around you, and use them to do good in the world. That has been my goal all this time, to be able to use my words for good, to inspire at least one person, make one person smile or laugh, feel happy, feel strong, feel hopeful, feel... just feel a certain way.

Above all, remember that your words can make a change. That's what I've been trying to do as well: make a change through my writing. And change doesn't have to be this huge, monumental action to have an effect. Rather, its the little things that plant the seeds and help us grow into better versions of ourselves every day.

So "Be the change you wish to see in the world," as Gandhi once said.

And know that though sticks and stones can break your bones, words can definitely hurt you.

But they can heal you, too.