The Not So Roomy Roommates

The Not So Roomy Roommates

The three year search.

12
The Not So Roomy Roommates
rentallease.net

Finding the right roommate, yet even a livable roommate at that, never came easy for me. It all started back at Fred state when college started. I was so ready to meet whom my roommate was, and decided to go random. As all my friends found their picks on Facebook, I was still waiting for that letter in the mail. The day finally came where I read the name out loud to all my friends.

Of course, we texted each other and did lots of stalking. It was a perfect match! We listened to the same music, were into the same things, and had experienced many of many concerts. The sad words that no future freshman in college wants to hear, “there’s a mistake.” Turns out she was a transfer sophomore misplaced in the freshman dorms. Luckily that would happen to me, and there was nothing else to do. All I had to do is wait, and hope for the best.

I came to move in day prepared with all my stuff in hopes I was going to meet my future roommate. She never made it to school the first night, which made me wonder if she was ever going to come. Many days went by, and it was almost like I was going to have my own room. About a week into it I nervously met my roommate. A hi or two was passed, but no other words ever came out. It was almost living on two separate sides with an imaginary curtain in between the room. I knew this wasn’t going to work, and I was going to have to meet friends some other way.

A year of college was falling to an end, and it was on to a new road. The road of Oneonta came where I was hoping for a change. It wasn’t just one, but three other girls I know had to get along with. For some that was great, but for me, that just sounded like another year down the drain. How was I supposed to magically get along with these other girls, when I couldn’t even get along with one?

Like one should, I kept my spirits up. Things went smooth the first week. We all went out, which was a change for me, and we all actually kept a conversation. Now to others that might seem normal, but to me that was new. I guess you can say we got somewhat along until a breakout between us all fell through. Now I was stuck with awkward silence and small talk. It wasn’t ideal, but far better than I was ever used to.

Now comes my junior year of college. I’m in a sorority, found my place, and have now become super comfortable in my own skin at school. I have found my group of friends, and a group of 60 to get me by. My first sorority friend and I decided we want to study abroad, and that means just one more year on campus in dorms. I’m so not proud of that after my horrible dorm experiences, but I’m up for the challenge.

My three new roommates are random, but my trust in my roommate is strong that she will make the right pick. Move-in the day has come again, but this time, it’s much different. Everyone is so lively and so happy to be back. Hugs and hellos come my way, and the beautiful feeling of friendship is finally in the air. Could it be true? Could I have found the right roommates, the ones I’ve been waiting a lifetime for in college?

Yes, it has come. We laugh; we talk; we hang; we get along. I can be myself, and they can be theirs. We’re all comfortable in our own skin, and most importantly comfortable with each other. I can go to my roommates for anything, and I can now call them my friends.