The Not Quite An Official Academy Awards: Music Edition | The Odyssey Online

The Not Quite An Official Academy Awards: Music Edition

It's the Tylers, but for the best music of the year.

15

The Grammy's are the leading authority on music award shows. But they have a tendency to pick what is popular and ignore many of the lesser known accomplishments in music throughout the year. So the Not Quite An Official Academy is going to take a crack at music awards, to give the people the real winners, not just pop sensations. I'll be taking the main categories (and also a video category) and judging the winners based on their merits and quality, and not on their commercial success.

One note, since I've heard this is a big question for people, the difference between Record of the Year and Song of the Year. Record of the Year is the best mixed and produced song, while Song of the Year has to do with the actual songwriting process. That's as simple as I can make it, and if you still don't understand come find me and I'll slap you in the face. So without further ado, here are the Tylers: Music Edition.

Record of the Year

Nominees:

"What Do You Mean?" - Justin Bieber, MdL

"Uptown Funk" - Mark Ronson, Bruno Mars, Jeff Bhasker

"I Blew it Off" - Punch Brothers

"Thinking Out Loud" - Ed Sheeran, Jake Gosling

"Adventure of a Lifetime" - Coldplay

Winner - "Uptown Funk" - Mark Ronson, Bruno Mars, Jeff Bhasker

Okay, so I kind of broke my own rules right away, but as far as Record of the Year goes, this song really has it all. Great lyrics, "funky" beats, and expertly mixed and produced. I don't care for this song, but I can't deny that is is good, and very well put together.

Album of the Year

Nominees:

"A Dotted Line" - Nickel Creek

"A Head Full of Dreams" - Coldplay

"Purpose" - Justin Bieber

"The Phosphorescent Blues" - Punch Brothers

"To Pimp A Butterfly" - Kendrick Lamar

Winner - "A Dotted Line" - Nickel Creek

This was an incredibly hard decision to make, as all of these albums were fantastic, but Nickel Creek delivered in a big way. Their first studio Album in a decade and like all of their albums every song is a hit. You won't hear them on the radio, though, so I recommend you go listen to this album after you finish reading this. The decade hiatus clearly provided a lot of inspiration for Chris Thile, Sean Watkins, and Sara Watkins, as they came back with the most well put together album of the year, refining their bluegrass/alternative fusion style.

Music Video of the Year

Nominees:

"What Do You Mean?" - Justin Bieber, Video Directed by Brad Furman

"Blank Space" - Taylor Swift, Video Directed by Joseph Kahn

"The Hills" - The Weeknd, Video Directed by Grant Singer

"Adventure of a Lifetime" - Coldplay, Video Directed by Mat Whitecross, Motion Capture assistance from Andy Serkis

"Borders" - M.I.A. Video Directed by M.I.A.

Winner - "Borders" - M.I.A. Video Directed by M.I.A.

Perhaps one of the greatest music videos of all time. This politically charged song is made a million times better by the video. M.I.A. seen traveling in a variety of ways with refugees is a spectacle in many ways. She makes her stance in such a cool way, typical M.I.A., there can't be anyone cooler than her. Please watch this video, whatever your stance on refugees/immigration, anything, it's just amazing to watch.

Song of the Year

Nominees:

"Alright" - Kendrick Lamar

"Hello" - Adele

"Everglow" - Coldplay

"Rest of My Life" - Nickel Creek

"No One Ever Tells You" - Seth MacFarlane

Winner - "Alright" - Kendrick Lamar

Not originally meant to be a protest song, "Alright," was adopted by the "Black Lives Matter Campaign", and with good reason. At it's core, it is a song of hope, that despite he had to fight his whole life, (a line referring to Alice Walker's, "The Color Purple") talking about overcoming the many obstacles, from the hood to the police. No matter what happens, "we gonna be alright."

Artist/Group of the Year

Nominees:

Coldplay

Justin Bieber

Kendrick Lamar

Taylor Swift

Nickel Creek

Winner - Justin Bieber

If me from a few years ago was reading this, he would straight up murder me, but you know what? Justin Bieber has had an amazing year, and I unashamedly believe he has nowhere to go but up, quickly becoming one of my favorite artists around. "Purpose" was an amazing album, from "Mark My Words" to "All in It," a complete album, and his overall appeal during this remarkable comeback has grown. I wanted to pick Nickel Creek, as they had an even better album, but Bieber went above and beyond with his stellar videos and features on other artists' tracks throughout the year.

Well that's it, let me know what you think. And just like my movie awards, if anyone can get in contact with the winners, let them know that I have their awards if they'd like to collect.