6. Gotcha Ms. Frizzle! | The Odyssey Online

The Meme Examiner: Vol. 2

More radioactive super-garbage headed your way.

108
The Meme Examiner: Vol. 2
Roan Urquhart

This week's installment is full of danger, intrigue, and a sprinkle of actual real-life current events! Just buckle up your seatbelt and put your head back because this article is about to put you to sleep before you can say "hey what memes do you have for me today?" But do not worry, after your nap you can always finish this article and discover 10 more top notch memes.

Memes:

1. Meme Ban?!

How tragic!

Let's get the current event out of the way right at the beginning! So if you are not aware, The European Union Directive on Copyright in the Digital Single Market (a mouthful, I know) has recently proposed and voted on legislation called "Article 13." Besides sounding like something from George Orwell's 1984, it aims to hold "online content sharing service providers"(basically just social media platforms like Twitter, YouTube, and Facebook) accountable if copyrighted images, videos, or audio are uploaded onto their site. Due to some of the frightening implications on the cornerstones of the Internet, memes, the Internet has taken to lovingly referring to Article 13 as the "meme ban."

2. So Not Fair!

Woah woah woah woah.

I wanted you to do well, but how dare you score higher than me. Honestly, the nerve of some people. That teaches you to never help anyone in need, kids.

3. The Danger is IMMENSE

It has been nice knowing you

Once those lights go out, you never know what could stand in the way of you and that bed. You might slip on a banana peel or be dragged into the dark expanse of your closet by the monster who you know lives in there. Either way, God-Speed my friend.

4. I Think, Therefore I'm Vegan

Hm that's a thinker

This meme in particular begs many questions. What "meat" could this tweet possible qualify as non-vegan? Why is the tweet devoid of capitalization? What could this possibly mean for the existence of vegans who don't eat meat? This may be one of Earth's great mysteries.

5. My Comrade Sense is Tingling!

Oh my what have you become?

Such a sleek design, the rise of the proletariat and the seizure of the means of production, in such a stylish red and blue body suit. What a shame that only shoddy implementations exist! He isn't even wearing the correct red gloves!

6. Gotcha Ms. Frizzle!

Bye bye browser!

I gotta say, tricking the substitute teacher into quitting out of the browser is the ultimate counter attack to glorified baby-sitting. The top message in combination with an image of Robbie Rotten in "LazyTown" represents the epitome of the dank meme community over the past few months. Rotten's actor, Stefán Karl Stefánsson, recently passed away and this is the Internet's way of paying him its respects.

7. Poor Life Choices!

This isn't even my final form

Everyone knows that you have to keep those expectation reeeeeeaaaaaal low.

8. B(al)last From the Past

please bröther

This meme is one I believe that everyone should be familiar with. The use of the umlaut is exquisite as it works to exponentially increase the value and hilarity of this meme.

9. Déjà vu

Wow the rare meme combo!

Yes, you have just witnessed a combo meme. Without the first meme, this meme has no foundation with which to impress the Internet surfers, but in tandem these memes are priceless.

10. Please No More!

Wack.

Dreams are the first aspect of life to be compromised by the "dank memes," then the social life dies out, then finally your soul is siphoned out to fuel the growing beast that is meme culture. I am too far gone my friends.

Now that the meme recap has concluded, allow me to leave you with a quote from the 16th Century astronomer Tycho Brahe. "When statesman or others worry [the scientist] too much, then he should leave with his possessions." Makes sense right? You can't let those silly statesmen stress you out. Oh wait, what's that? Tycho Brahe's death was a direct result of his bladder bursting after he was too afraid to breach etiquette and get up from a table at a banquet (organized by statesmen) to relieve himself? Wow, the more you know.

Goodbye.