The Man: Harris Pastides

The Man: Harris Pastides

My university president is cooler than yours.

34
The Man: Harris Pastides
Twitter

As I patiently waited by the back door of what I would learn was the Admin building, I thought to myself, “How the actual hell am I going to get into this building?” As a student of three years, you’d think I’d know my way around the campus buildings a little better. You would be wrong.

Number 1: I didn’t even know the general area the Osborne building was supposed to be located in, let alone where the front door was.

Number 2: I did not realize that was the primary office of the President.

So as I waited (patiently, might I remind you, but slightly panicked because I was already tardy to a meeting with my boss) I prayed to God some kind soul would rescue me from my utter befuddlement. And there he was, Harris Pastides, approaching from across the court yard with a little jaunt in his step as per usual for the cheery president. I will also add I had no idea President Harris Pastides was actually the guy approaching.

But let me tell ya, this guy is just The Man. So casual, calm, cool and collected. And I won’t lie, he seemed genuinely happy to see me. After a cordial greeting and niceties he looked into my sleep deprived and anxiety-stricken eyes and said, “I have actually forgotten my key, so it looks like we’re locked out.”

After flagging down a grounds woman, who proceeded to scold the president for not taking a selfie with her already, we crossed the threshold into the building and parted ways as old friends.

While this was my first encounter with the President, run-ins like this with the Lord Commander of USC and frequent conversations involving the president quite often. Being a man of the people, Harris and Patricia Pastides have transformed the South Carolina campus since he was instated in 2008.

Originating from Queens, New York from first generation Cyprus immigrants, Harris was the first family member to attend college let alone get a PhD. After earning a B.S. in Biology at the University of Albany, he went on to receive a Master's in public health and a PhD in epidemiology from Yale.

While newly appointed president, Pastides was not new to the campus of USC. He ascended from the role of Vice President for Research and Health Sciences and Dean of the Arnold School of Public Health to the presidency, making him the first internal candidate for presidency in more than 50 years. Besides the obviously qualified educational background, Pastides has brought more to the campus of South Carolina than anyone thought he could.

Under his sovereignty, Pastides has spearheaded programs such as the Palmetto College, Gamecock gateway, a #1 ranked public honors college in the nation and a #1 International Business program in the nation (remind me again what Clemson is the No.1 in?). The campus, in terms of student population, has grown by 14,000 enrolled, full-time students, and overall student satisfaction has skyrocketed.

And don’t think for one second this fabulous president of ours is married to some couch potato that sits in their house on the Horseshoe twiddling her thumbs, no sir.

Patricia Pastides not only accompanies her husband in governing the university, but with a sociology degree from College of the Holy Cross and a Master’s in Public Health from Yale (where she and Harris first met), the first lady can definitely hold her own. With a dedication to health from a number of years in the field, Patricia recently put the final touches on a book called “Greek Revival: Cooking for life.” Apart from her dedication to a healthy living, Ms. Moore-Pastides lovingly tends to the president's garden located to the rear of the president's house.

Don’t take my word on The Man; catch Harris in his Gamecock emblazoned cream and black Mini-Cooper around town and see what’s up. And if you haven’t seen his thoughts on Millennial Vocabulary, I highly encourage it.