The Last Four Words | The Odyssey Online

The Last Four Words

Five times we could have guessed the last four words to "Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life".

18
The Last Four Words

Grab your: coffee, donuts, Red Hots, more coffee, Pop Tarts, Rocky Road ice cream, cheese pizza, Chinese food, tacos, tater tots, more coffee, extra cheese pizza, and scotch...and brace yourselves for the last four words of "Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life".

Warning: Spoilers! If you haven't watched the series, do not read below!

We are left in complete and utter suspense at the end of the revival. If you binge-watched the episodes this weekend, I am sure you were surprised at how our Gilmore Girls left us hanging.

There are many unanswered questions:

Will we ever see the Gilmores again?

What happened at Luke and Lorelai's wedding?

Lane has a dad?!

Will Emily be back to raise her great-grandchild?

The baby has to be a girl...right?

We need answers, but the most important question is...Who is the baby's dad?

Although the news of Rory's pregnancy came as a shock, especially as the last line of the series, there are a few times that Rory tries hinting to us that she is pregnant.

1. Visiting Christopher

Rory drops by her dad's office to discuss Lorelai raising Rory alone. Rory wanted to know how Christopher felt about Lorelai's decision and if he would have wanted to play a bigger role in Rory's childhood. The audience believes this scene to be research for Rory's book, but in hindsight, it seems like Rory really wanted to know for her future baby. Rory appears to be visibly uncomfortable in this scene and now we know why.

2. Catching up with Dean

Rory runs into her first love at Doose's Market during the fall episode. Dean shares news with Rory that his wife is pregnant with their fourth child. When Dean asks Rory how she is doing, she responds with "Okay". At this point, Rory knows she is pregnant and does not know what to say or think about her big news, especially when talking to her first love. We can assume, after her description of Dean for the book, she secretly wishes he was the father.

3. Rory's desire to write Gilmore Girls

Lorelai does not want Rory to write a story about their lives. End of story. Rory is not taking no as an answer which causes the girls to have a fight in the cemetery where Richard is buried. Rory knows that their story has to be shared, but it will also be a guide for her as a new, single mother. Rory has to prepare for a future Gilmore, and what better way to do that? Luckily, Lorelai gives Rory her blessing for the story (we know it is one worth sharing!).

4. Logan offers Rory a house.

Logan offers Rory the key to his family's beach house in Maine so she can focus on writing her book. It was after a night of fun and passion; however, we think Rory told Logan "the big news" and that is why he came to Stars Hollow to wine and dine her. The house, along with the maids and chef would be Logan's way of providing for Rory without having to take care of her or the baby. We do not know for certain if Logan is the father; however, after all of Rory's time in London, I think it's safe to say that she brought home a memorable souvenir.

5. The last four words

As the dynamic duo sat on the gazebo steps, talking about Lorelai's big day, Rory was not drinking champagne with her mother. Lorelai was excited for her wedding reception and babbling about flash mobs, and Rory was visibly distracted. Lorelai knows her daughter well enough that she could tell something was wrong. And that was it. The ending that we have all been waiting for: the last four (really five) words of Gilmore Girls.

"Mom."

"Yeah."

"I am pregnant."

We were as surprised as Lorelai, but we could not be happier to hear of another Gilmore. Hopefully we will get to revisit Stars Hollow and the family in the future. I think everyone wants to see Lorelai as a grandmother and Emily as 'Great-Grandma Gilmore'.

Until we meet again, girls. Thanks for the cries, laughs, and heart-felt moments.