The Iron Giant Returns This Fall | The Odyssey Online

The Iron Giant Returns This Fall

And every ‘90s kid’s dream is coming true

92
The Iron Giant Returns This Fall

Before two-dimensional animation became a mere memory, before Pixar matured to the digital empire it is today, and before he was given nearly unlimited budgets to produce essentially live-action animated movies, Brad Bird directed his first animated feature, “The Iron Giant.”

This science fiction cartoon classic focuses on Hogarth Hughes, a young boy who discovers a giant robot from space during post-Sputnik era Maine. Hogarth becomes the unlikely guardian to the 50-foot robot, forming an endearing relationship between them as the boy teaches Giant about heroes and what it truly means to be human. An essential theme to the plot as well as a belief Hogarth teaches Giant comes from artistic beatnik and junkman, Dean McCoppin. During a conversation with Hogarth, Dean gives him some advice concerning the bullies at Hogarth's school, telling him, "Who cares what these creeps think? They don't decide who you are, you do. You are who you choose to be."

Recently, Vin Diesel, voice of the Giant, hinted at a possible sequel for the film, but Bird denied the speculations, firmly informing the press that the re-screening was only a celebration of the film, not a prelude to a sequel. Nevertheless, fans everywhere are buzzing about the film’s reappearance in the theaters. Over the years, “The Iron Giant” has only acquired more fame and is considered one of the richest animated films of an age mostly dominated by Pixar films. Made with an impeccable blend of 3D and 2D animation, leaning mostly on the latter, initially, the film was received by an embarrassingly low number of people, only earning $31 million on a $70 million budget. Despite its lack of success among the public, critics unabashedly raved over film, calling it one of the most heartfelt and beautifully depicted coming of age stories to ever take the screens. “The Iron Giant” went on to win nine Annie Awards and remains one of the greatest films in the field of traditional animation.

The gorgeous film of the late nineties is making its second debut at the end of September this year. It won’t be a week’s run, so mark September 30 on your calendar. Warner Brothers and Fathom Events are putting a remastered Signature Edition version of The Iron Giant in theaters for a very limited engagement. The special-event screening will take place at 7:00 p.m. on the set date, with an encore showing on Oct. 4 at 12 p.m. in participating theaters around the country. The new remastered cut will also include two never-before-seen scenes. Besides the film’s two single-night events, it will also be screening at the Toronto International Film Festival. A Blu-ray release has also been announced, so you'll be able to watch the movie and sob hysterically every night.

This is perhaps one of the most uplifting and inspiring films I have ever seen, and don’t try to tell me it is just a “kids'” movie. “The Iron Giant” is such a vastly overlooked cartoon classic that didn't get nearly enough recognition despite its originality and its approach to mature topics in a way that was accessible and thought-provoking to a young audience. Every bit of this film is handled with the utmost attention: from the way Brad Bird handled the villain, a man driven mad by the paranoia inflicted on him by government propaganda, to the director’s blatant anti-war message. The film does a beautiful job of contrasting good and evil, honorable superiority and dictatorial dominance, as well as friendship and division between people, or in this case, robots. “The Iron Giant” sheds light on pivotal concepts adults strive tirelessly to keep from children, encouraging them to question authority and be skeptical of the media we are spoon-fed. The film focuses on important themes that some deem overly “grown up” or too serious for children to understand; I even speculate whether there were more sinister forces at work, which kept the film from reaching a wider audience.

“The Iron Giant” has the capacity to be an inspiration to anyone, so long as the people allow themselves to open their minds and the ability to just be a kid again for a couple of hours. The film is intriguing and hilarious with a cast of refreshingly unique characters. Beautifully animated, action-filled and genuinely touching, "The Iron Giant" is a must-see for anyone. So, save the date; the Giant is coming soon.