The Infamous Room Dispute | The Odyssey Online

The Infamous Room Dispute

Who gets the room?

9
The Infamous Room Dispute
Stuffpoint

With the semester getting closer and excitements getting higher, especially for the freshmen who finally get to leave the regulated lifestyle that they loathed for the past 18 years and finally enter a more free and welcoming society.

But what some people, mainly new people don't realize is that whole room dispute conundrum, what to do when someone needs the room at a certain time, for something we already know of and how to approach that situation given that it typically ends up getting awkward between people.

Freshmen, living with randoms is a, for the lack of a better word, "fresh" experience. It really is impossible to experience anything like it and it's cool thinking that there is an infinite number of possibilities of the people that you will end up living with and these people very well may become the people that you are friends with for the rest of your life. Of course, there also is in the infinite number of possibilities that you'll get paired with a psychopath who pees into jars and leaves their underwear on your bed but hey that's the risk that we all have to take to experience something amazing in college.

Typically, finding someone who matches each and every one of your demands is tough, especially considering the roommate survey isn't particularly great with eye opening questions like. "Do you stay up late?" "Do you smoke?" "Do you like noise?" It's weird how that is the most depth that the questions go into considering that this person will be living with you for the rest of the year and the only factors going into selecting them fall under whether they stay up late, smoke or not and whether they happen to be okay with noise. I know of "normal" people and "crazy" people that would fall under the same categories.

But hey, you filled your roommate evaluation form out, typically with the assistance of your parents who are shocked that you want to stay up past 1 AM and want to have at least a little bit of noise on your floor because you are such a perfect child who gets a perfect amount of 8 hours of sleep a night and prefer studying in silence so you don't mess up that 4.0 high school GPA.

So past the scrutiny of your parents, you get to your room, and you find yourself paired with someone, who you may not totally see eye to eye with. How does the room dispute work now? The "I need the room for a bit" talk is probably the most important talks in let's say freshman and sophomore year between roommates as it creates this divide in a sense that requires one roommate to give up something for the other. But what if you guys aren't friends, what if there just isn't anything compelling the other person to give up that room to you?

So to freshmen and all those living with a random roommate, being friends with your roommate is important, could bridge you two closer enough together so you can finally get rid of them for a night.