The Importance of Knowing Your Self Worth

Once you have realized your self worth. nothing can stop you.

223
JoliHouse

We've all been there. Everyone at some point in their lives struggles with understanding and acknowledging their self-worth. Whether it be the physical loss of someone, a breakup, or just an immense point of negativity in your life, sometimes it can be hard to remember your worth. I know this is something I have personally struggled with in the past, but I can promise you, once you realize your self-worth, nothing can stop you.

If there's anything I've learned over the past few years, it's that it's incredibly important to always believe in yourself. A few years ago, I lost one of the most important people in my life, my grandmother. Prior to her passing, she left me with a poem titled "Do It Anyway," (pictured above) by Mother Theresa. Upon receiving it, I had no idea how much this one singular poem would come to mean to me. However within this poem are seven lessons to be learned and applied into your everyday life that will make you feel the immensity of your self-worth.

Forgiveness:

Life is too short to be spent holding grudges. While I understand sometimes there are certain situations that people deem unforgivable, it is still important to not dwell on the past. In life, we are meant to fight for the things that we love. Whether that be a friendship, a relationship, a passion, or a life goal; don't give up. Things happen. It isn't what happens that defines you, but the way that you react to a situation.. Remember that. By doing so and forgiving mistakes, you will allow yourself to move forward with a peace of mind.

Kindness:

While it may be a difficult task sometimes, it is incredibly important to always be kind to those around you. At a certain point in everyone's life, there comes a time where being positive and happy just doesn't seem possible. It's in those type of situations that these people need to be reminded that kindness goes a long way. No matter the type of mood someone may be in on any given day, always be sure to radiate positive vibes because the truth is, everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. Being kind won't just make the other person feel more at ease, but it will also allow you to have an overwhelming sense of accomplishment if you can just say that you brightened one person's day.

Honesty:

While others may not always like or agree with what you say, it is important, to be honest. Without honesty, life would be based solely on assumptions. The majority of people respect the whole truth as opposed to a sugarcoated version, simply because this means that there is trust within the relationship, whatever it may be.

Keep Moving Forward:

Stop looking back, you're not going that way. Don't spend countless hours dwelling on what used to be and start looking towards the future. You have the rest of your life to accomplish your dreams, so why wait. Seize every opportunity given to you. Travel the world, experience new things, be daring, challenge yourself, and shape yourself into the very best person that you can be. You only have one life to live, so make sure it's a memorable one.

Happiness:

Life is too short to be anything but happy. It's been said that in the end, only three things matter: how much you loved, how gently you lived, and how gracefully you let go of things not meant for you. Don't let anything get in the way of your happiness and your dreams. This is your life to live, so make sure it's being pushed to its fullest potential. You can accomplish anything. Happiness is a choice, so make sure that no matter what's happening in your life, that you wake up every single morning and choose happiness. I promise it'll change your life.

Good-Hearted:

It cost $0 to be a good person, so why not do it every day to the best of your ability? Whether it be a certain gesture to make someone smile or even just holding the door open for a stranger, a little effort goes a long way. Sometimes it takes the simplest things to make others happy. Even if the good deed isn't remembered, the point is you went out of your way to do something to benefit someone else. Why wouldn't you take advantage of that any chance you got?

Put Your Best Foot Forward:

Put 100% effort into everything that you do. I promise you'll be more than pleased with the outcome. Putting your all into something gives you this overwhelming sense of accomplishment, like you can achieve anything. And that's the beauty of it, you can. This is your life. You can do whatever you want with it. Find your passion and run with it, be successful and love what you do everyday. That's how you make your mark on this world.

Generally when a significant time has passed, we choose to look back at certain situations and analyze them. Sometimes we're unsure if we handled specific situations accordingly or if there was more room for improvement, other times we reflect on what we want and don't want. However, one common factor regardless of the situation, no matter what it may be, is that it involves you and your life. No matter what life throws at you, always know that you are bigger than the problem at hand. Don't let ANYTHING stop you from being the very best possible version of yourself. God would never give you anything that you couldn't handle. You are strong, independent, and worth much more than you give yourself credit for. Remember these seven lessons, and don't ever let them escape you. I promise, once you realize your self worth, nothing can stop you.