The Best Homesickness Remedy | The Odyssey Online

The Best Homesickness Remedy

Thank goodness there's a universal cure for a universal plague.

44
The Best Homesickness Remedy
Wordpress

I hardly ever get homesick, so the first week of college was tough. While I was stoked for independence and the college experience, there was a part of me that yearned for the comforts of home. I missed the free home-cooked meals and snacks lining the pantry. I missed playing with my siblings and laughing in the car at our ridiculous conversations. I missed the convenience of free laundry and a dishwasher. I missed Mom's comforting advice and Dad's one-liners. I missed my dog.

Turns out, I'm not alone in the homesickness plague. In fact, it's pretty common for most college students to experience some form of homesickness especially during the sharp transition from a summer at home to the first week of school. In hopes to make this move smoother, I figured I'd share the best advice I ever received when it comes to homesickness.

I was a lonely freshman shaking in the pew of the church. Partly because I was an introvert with "FRESHMAN" stapled on my forehead and surrounded by new people, and partly because I had just completed day four of two-a-day practices so my legs were using everything they could to hold me upright. As if that wasn't enough, the homesickness struck. Mass reminded me of home and after having a week without symptoms, suddenly I was on the verge of tears missing my family.

The Mass unfolded and after the Liturgy of the Word, Fr. Mark Beran walked reverently to give his homily. Ever had a moment where you are sitting with other people but you feel like you're being talked to one on one? Same. And I knew that experience was coming when he opened with something along the lines of, "I'd like to welcome all of our college students that made it to Mass today. I'm so grateful you're here. I bet some of you are a little homesick, so I have a question. When's the last time you've called your mom?" Soon after he gave me the remedy for homesickness.

Call your Mother.

Fr. Beran didn't intend for me to pick up my cell phone and dial my mom's phone number that I've had memorized since third grade. While that may ease some of the heart ache, it's not the cure. Instead, he suggested contacting our Heavenly Mother, Mary.

Because Heaven is our ultimate home, we are all plagued with homesickness. We long for something greater than this Earth can offer and we are left unsatisfied, distraught, and sick. Mary is the cure because she not only experienced this Earth but also the unbearable sorrows watching her only Son sacrifice all He had in order to unlock the front door to the home she dwells in now. She awaits for us with open arms, ready to celebrate, provide comfort, and love us unconditionally as any mother would.

Whenever I find myself feeling nostalgic, I turn to my mother, both earthly and heavenly, because nothing can ease the pains of homesickness like giving Mom a call. So next time you find yourself distraught, longing for home, or feeling a little out of place, I highly recommend calling Mom. She's the ultimate comforter and provides grace that transforms lives (The Miraculous Medal, anyone?). Bonus: She's always available.

Have you talked to your Mother lately?