The Heartbreaking Truth About Dating In Our Generation | The Odyssey Online

The Heartbreaking Truth About Dating In Our Generation

Why I hate dating, our generation, and the two of them combined.

55
google images

It has not only been months, but more than a few years since I can say that I had an actual boyfriend who was committed to me and only me, treated me well (and by that I mean I didn't cry myself to sleep every night because of something he said), and was someone I could count on having around every single day without doubt. Although this did not work out and it also broke my heart, it was a bad timing kind of heartbreak ya know? The kind where you are both just on two different paths and you sever relationship ties to allow each other to grow in their own way. Yes, we have had our fair share of breakup drama but I do not believe either of us left the other one feeling like we could not move on. We have remained friends and still chat once in a while because he is a good person. But he is a good person, whom is dating a wonderful girl and believe it or not, I am happy for him.

Fast forward two years and I am sitting here typing this after hearing that yet another guy I am interested in, is not over his ex. In a generation where good people are rare, feelings are hardly ever mutual, and #relationshipgoals are more about instagram than long term love it is so hard to put your phone down and date someone for real.

Do not get me wrong, I get that sometimes things are better the second time around, but for Gods sake why do people in this generation think it is better to "try" it with someone else just to get back with their ex a week later? Instead of doing you for awhile and if you find yourself back in your exes arms, no harm no foul. But this is the rebound generation.... If you aren't rebounding, you are the rebound. It is a vicious cycle and it is so scary for someone that isn't struggling to get over their ex or using anyone for any reason other than, if I am hanging out with you, I enjoy your company.

I want someone to open doors for me, and plan cute date nights. I want someone that asks how my day was, and is there to wrap their arms around me when I've had a terrible day. I want someone that I can go to bed knowing they are still going to love me in the morning. I want someone who stares at me when I am not paying attention, not someone who I am worried is secretly planning on working things out with their ex. And the sad part is, the things I want are not anything too much to ask. I am not being crazy or dreaming, this is real and it is not asking a whole awful lot.

So rather you are the ex, you aren't over your ex, or you are the rebound; I am praying for you and for them and for everyone involved because it is so unfair to continue stringing someone along when you know from day one you are not planning on being with someone else.

If you are someone that is dating someone genuine who opens doors for you or asks about your day, I am praying that you know how lucky you have it and I am praying that it lasts because it might not come around again.