The Heart And Soul Of Country Music | The Odyssey Online

The Heart And Soul Of Country Music

"Country music is the people's music. It just speaks about real life and about truth and it tells things how they really are." -Faith Hill

86
The Heart And Soul Of Country Music
google user content

I love country music. I am not ashamed to admit that, even though the popular opinion held by non-listeners is that it's only about drinking, smoking and losing a girlfriend. Maybe there are some songs like that. Regardless, we should not classify a genre of music based off of some of the songs and thereby reject the others that go against this stereotype. Here are 10 examples of when country music has defied the stereotypes and shown the real heart that this genre contains.

1. "Something in the Water" by Carrie Underwood

Carrie Underwood is quickly becoming one of the most popular female country artists and it's no surprise when you hear songs like this one. "Something in the Water" is a wonderful testimony about faith in Jesus. Lines like,"Saying, God, if you're there come and rescue me.Felt love pouring down from above Got washed in the water, washed in the blood.." all point to the saving grace of belief and baptism. Carrie uses her popularity to disciple to people who hear her songs. She promotes meaningful causes and not just drinking.

2. "I Saw God Today" by George Strait

This is another song that talks about faith in God, but in a different way. It talks about finding God in the little things, like a "flower poking through the sidewalk crack". It shows the beauty of the world around us in a way that not many songs do.

3. "Follow Your Arrow" by Kacey Musgraves

This song is a little unconventional, as noted by the quote above, as well as the lines that talk about rolling up a joint. The message,though, is very important. The entire song is about how no matter what a person does, they will be judged, so they may as well live life the way they want. It encourages self-worth and being who you truly are.

4. "Hello World" by Lady Antebellum

This is another song that talks about the beauty that can be found in the world. The lines "I see a light, a little hope, in a little girl" show how if a person just takes a moment to slow down and look around they can see joy that isn't always noticeable. I highly suggest checking this song out because it's one that encourages you to love life when you're feeling like the world is a horrible place.

5. "I Drive Your Truck" by Lee Brice

Before you go "Oh look a song about a truck" let me point out the symbolism of this truck. The song is talking about the speaker's brother, who died in war. The speaker can't stand life without him and the only way to cope is to drive his brother's old truck around in an effort to remember him. This song is honest and shows the pain and heartbreak of losing a loved one.

6. Smokin' and Drinkin' by Miranda Lambert

Alright, I'm breaking my rules a little by including this one because it does talk about smoking and drinking. The message behind the two actions, though, is obvious once a person listens to the rest of the lyrics. It talks about the love that the people felt every time they got together and reminisced while smoking and drinking. It talks about the memories they share together. Just give it a listen and I'm sure you'll realize it's about more than just getting drunk.

7. "Bleed Red" by Ronnie Dunn

I was upset when I heard that Brooks and Dunn were splitting up, but I must admit that Ronnie Dunn is still putting out great music on his own. This song has a wonderful message about how we are all equals in this world. It talks about apologizing before it's too late, and not fighting with each other because it is pointless. Everyone lives in the same world and goes through the same things so we should love one another.

8. "Humble and Kind" by Tim Mcgraw

The message of this song is fairly obvious based off of the title. It has different examples of when people could become proud or mean, but goes back to the main message of staying humble and kind, along with other virtuous qualities. It's a wonderful song that has Christian undertones to it and continues to touch my heart every time I hear it.

9. "American Soldier" by Toby Keith

This is a beautiful song about the sacrifice that our soldiers make every day. Maybe you say this is another stereotype of the country genre, but since when is honoring our military a bad thing?

10. "You Should Be Here" by Cole Swindell

Here's another example of a country song with a misleading title. Reading it, you would assume that he is singing about a girl. In reality, the song is written about Cole's father. He wrote this song in memory of him and it has beautiful lyrics all about the father he lost. It shows real heart and memories, just like in the above example about losing a brother

Country music has a lot more to offer than simply getting drunk or driving a tractor around a field. There are so many wonderful messages in a majority of the songs. Even the ones that seem to fit the stereotypes have more to them than meets the eye. Country music is one genre that I believe has more heart and soul in it than any other. I encourage you skeptics to give it another try because once you realize the power in most of the songs, you'll be hooked for life.